Chapter 42: Season 5 (Ahsoka)

"I'm grateful to see you doing better, Zelina. Your recovery was quite...extensive, and had us worried for a while."

Zelina smiled gently at Satine as they idly walked through the Temple hangar, watching as stock was loaded and unloaded from the ships from weaponry for the clones and starships to supplies for the Temple. Zelina had been out of recovery for some time now, but was just starting to get back into the swing of things.

Mainly the Mandalore ordeal that was still going on, though in the background from the main focus of the war at the moment. Unfortunately, she was missing a lot of the front lines action Obi-Wan kept seeing with the other Jedi, as she'd been recovering for the first part of the struggle and was now being tossed around on several different missions—most of them on Coruscant—that ranged from acting as Satine's bodyguard to helping keep the peace with the protesters outside the Jedi Temple to going off world on solo missions, strikes, or in some cases full assaults.

In fact, Zelina was rather envious of Anakin and Ahsoka at the moment for being right at the front lines on Cato Neimoidia.

"I just wish I could be of more help—I've been doing a lot of background work recently, and while I do know that it's just as important...I haven't been on the front lines in a while. I'm sure the 105th miss me, too," Zelina admitted.

Satine inclined her head respectfully. "Perhaps you should enjoy the small break you have from the war while you can."

Zelina sighed. "Just because I'm not in the middle of it, doesn't mean it's not happening. I just have to look at the outskirts of the Temple to be reminded of that, or feel what's going on in the med ward. Every day this war continues it gets uglier and uglier. Yes, some people are flourishing in this environment, growing stronger, wiser, and better...but a little more darkness fills the galaxy every day, and there's so much of it everywhere...it's terrifying at the same time."

Satine nodded. "That's why I tried to keep Mandalore out of things so destructive as war by making it a neutral and passive planet," Satine said softly.

Zelina gave her a look of sympathy. "I'm so sorry for what's happened to Mandalore, Satine. It's become so war torn...I'm rooting for your planet to return to it's peaceful, neutral ways, but it will probably be so long before that happens. Even with the rebel pockets your sister is leading the crime families have such a firm hold, it will be a long time before the Republic ends its siege and reclaims the planet. Even then, you'll have to fight to get it back under neutral control after everything that's happened there, if the people even want the change," Zelina said sadly.

Satine sighed, placing a hand on her shoulder as they came to a stop by one of the hangar entrances. "All we can do now is wait for the Republic to drive out the crime families. Then, I believe, that with patience and perseverance, Mandalore will become what it once was."

"Yes...hopefully." Zelina looked around, deciding they should probably leave so that they didn't accidentally get in someone's way. "We should probably start heading back—Padme did say she was going to speak with you on the Republic's actions on Mandalore. That's probably important."

Satine nodded, pulling away thoughtfully and starting on the way back. "Yes, that should be here by now..."

Zelina turned and caught up to her in a few steps. "Between the lessons the two of you have been giving me, I'll actually be able to listen and understand what's going on instead of trying to find something else to do like take a nap or meditate."

She was glad that earned a laugh out of Satine, who turned back to face her again. "You've been such a wonderful student too. Not many people are willing to learn the ways of politics just because."