Chapter 1

Song ~ War (Stripped) - Jordan Max

Year: 2301

Kaiser last memory was of his Mother's pitch-black hair, cascading amongst her shoulders and the frightening look in her eyes.

When the Mutation proceeded to get worse and amongst the commotion at the storefront, people were downright starving, and decide to raid the supermarket. Since the government was already demolished by the uprising, nobody cared about the law.

People went crazy with rage, and high on adrenaline and his mother was taken away amongst the riot. He had woken up, in the middle of the store, confused and memories washed away. That's when he was left to fend for himself at the age of eight, with no prior engagement with humankind as he continued to hide in the storage room of the supermarket. Since then, he has had no human interaction.

After the course of ten years, he had been left to fight on his own. He had figured the necessities by raiding hospitals, supermarkets, and outfitter stores, loading his oversized backpack and with a raising amount of masks to shield whatever the mutation had created, from his nose and mouth.

He reframed from his thought as he noticed he was running low on bullets and decide to enter a rundown store; which had a fish reaching for a hook out of the water. He jerked open the automatic doors which had been kept closed and cracked from the Surfacers attempting to get in, (what they didn't know was a button just to the corner of the doors would have gained them entrance) dead bodies surveyed the entrance. He needed to replenish his camping gear and find a new backpack as well.

Kaiser couldn't read, due to the Mutation, he no longer had someone to teach him the art of recognizing words. He spoke English and that was better than nothing, but he never spoke, his thoughts were what kept him company. He shuffled his assault rifle to his left hand and kept an extra gun; a pistol in his bag for safekeeping.

He looked around the store, and noticed a mirror reflecting his image upon itself. Kaiser hated his reflection, he practically cringed every time he saw a mirror.

Kaiser was just over six foot, his unruly shoulder-length hair was knotted from the years of travel and the fear of contaminated water, he avoided it at all costs unless he found a bottle of water to wash the dirt and scum from his face. His eyes were brown, but he couldn't quite tell since most places he found mirror held no light, besides his flashlight.

The light was what drew the Beast in, he learned that the hard way.

He was so cold, walking his way toward New Mexico from the cold bitterness of Montana. Before everyone disappeared underground, word around the street was that New Mexico was accepting children without family but that ended up being false hope. He wasn't thinking about the fact of a fire attracting anything, he was young at the time and stupid.

The Beast crept onto him, one beast was never the same, always a different creation. This Beast was stealth like a lion, but quite like a mouse and it was an exact hybrid of a lion and mouse. He didn't see it coming till the lion yanked at his face, ripping into his lower jawline into a clean cut.The early morning fog loomed as far as he could see, it was almost tangible, shrouding everything in a thick white veil, the light barely managing to penetrate the haze. The sounds of birdsong and motors that should have been filling the air around him all seemed to have disappeared, even his footsteps had been swallowed by the greedy beast.

Kaiser could feel the tear of the wound and first, it came thick and strong, flowing through his fingers as he clasped the ripped flesh. He felt the blood moving over his hand, the thick fluid no warmer or cooler than his own skin.

His defense was to kill the beast, with his rifle in hand he fired in rapid succession. Two shots, one to the eye and one to the backside, his first kill, and his last fire.

Kaiser reaches up and lightly touches the scarring that the Beast had caused, still pink from the incident as he wenches in pain from the rawness.

He wasn't a medic and couldn't even stitch himself, he would have asked the Surfacers for help, but they all went crazy and killed themselves. He avoided any human contact and made himself aware of the dangers that came along with friendship.

When he finds his necessities and carries on back outside, his foot light to the crunch of dried pooled up blood underneath his hiking boots, as the cool burning September air built up around him, he couldn't remember that the last time sunlight had reached his skin but he remembers the warmth.

Kaiser glanced around for any sightings before digging out his map, his next destination in Florida.

What would have been his home...

IThis story will be told in two points of views, Kaiser point of view will be the third person, and the other will be the first person! (which you will see next chapter) Thanks for all the votes and comments and don't be afraid to share!