Chapter 5

The arguing came right through the walls Kaiser could hardly hear the conversations through his throbbing head but, who, what and where was he? It felt like someone had permanently stuck a knife to his skull, attempting to lift his head to see where he was but couldn't look without pain squeezing his eyes shut. He could feel the tubes and IV stuck to his arm like leaches.

How long had he been out?

"How did you let this happen, Arthur?" A mild voice breaks out from the other side of the wall.

"Willow, she wasn't in the right mind." A strong male voice stroke out, letting Kaiser know it was Arthur who was speaking: and then their voice silenced out.

He could barely hear the door creak open, the loud chatter of voices started getting louder, Kaiser attempted to get up but quickly realized how futile it was. The loud banter seemed to cease as someone was talking to him, attempting to reach him.

"I'm sorry, the lights were too bright. I turned them down for you," Her voice was mild, soothing to hear.

'You can look now," Her voice soft-spoken, as Kaiser slowly but carefully opens his eyes making sure the light wasn't too harsh on his eyes when he is caught off guard by a girl.

Her hip was jutted to one side, her right arm draped across her slender body, clasping the elbow opposite. She had chestnut brown hair with blonde highlights, it landed on her shoulders like a waterfall flowing mildly; flaming as bright as a sunrise.

     Her plumps lips turned into a warm smile with a hint of shyness and her lips were like a frozen rose, dangerous but beautiful.  His ears tuned out the voices from the hall, as he was captivating every inch of her.

Kaiser started noticing how uncomfortable she was and had the same effect on the girl's breathing, constricted and shallow.  She couldn't have been younger than him, with her regal bearing. High, delicate cheekbones, small nose, luminescent grey eyes, creamy smooth skin, and silky hair.

He took her all in.

She turned her head to the side to avert her gaze, but the sudden rosiness of her cheeks gave her away.  "Well, um, I'm Akira." She directed her hand out for Kaiser to shake it.

He reaches for her smooth delicate hand, which doubles in size over her's as he shakes it in return.

***

  His curls were midnight black and his eyes reminded me of the old barn door, flecks of deep brown married with lighter hues, framed by graceful brows. His skin was tanned. He had prominent cheekbones and a well-defined chin and nose. His scar took up from his cheekbone to his jawline, but it didn't take away from his beauty. Unlike Arthur, he was always obscured by his fuzzy, thin beard. Muscles rippled across every part of his body. 

He had so much strength remaining despite the years of weathering, so much life, and he was out on the surface all by himself. This unknown man had been in our facility for nearly three weeks now, and he is a fighter.

Arthur and Willow weren't happy that I brought him down here, but I wasn't one to leave a human-being bleed out. Thank god we got him underground, and that he was passed out for the majority of the time. He had a major concussion, four broken ribs, and a separated shoulder, the doctors were able to secure him and perform state of the art surgery.

  This was the first time he has been awake, and mobile his face was stern, even a little melancholy, in repose, which was transfigured when he smiled.  He released my hand, and I was anticipating him giving me his name.