Chapter 21: Pieces of the Past

Larry Smith entered a hundred-meter-wide round hut. Hair fluttering wind blew through it from the direction of the ocean, which Larry could see through many openings in the distance. Differently to its counterpart in the Paradise, the Waterworld hospital had no enclosed spaces, solid walls, no mystery or secrecy about it. The few patients were handled almost in the open, on the beds surrounded by shimmering transparent forcefields, which blocked the wind and humidity. A visitor could pass the forcefields without warning, use any console he wished, make a video call, and talk to any of dozen robots which most of the time idled by the entrances of the tent, saying joyfully, "Hello, how can I help?" to anyone passing them by.

Larry wasted no time when a floating trash can with a shimmering eye presented itself upon his entering and asked the usual question. He asked, "Has Diana Winterfield visited this place during the last week?"

What Larry loved about the machines was that they always went straight to the point excluding all smooth talking and gibberish inherent to the common folk. The robot replied, "Yes, she came here two days ago accompanied by another woman, Jessie Green."

"Have they been arguing? Have they been hostile to one another?"

"They were not arguing. What do you mean by hostile?"

"Have they been angry or attempted to hurt one another?"

"They have not. The one less injured, Jessie, waited for her friend. When we finished treating her friend, they left together."

Larry used a moment to compose himself. Last answers struck him as a surprise. Why were the women on good terms? Could Jessie have done something to Diana? Larry asked, "Did anything about them strike you as surprising: their psychological condition or injuries?"

"Yes. Almost everything. We couldn't access their psyche. It was as if they blocked us out. Also, we found matter of one woman in the wounds of the other. They had damaged one other."

"Have you checked their medical history? I am interested in Jessie Green."

"Yes. Over the years, she had received mechanical injuries, traumas, nothing unusual for a visitor of the Waterworld."

"What about her history on Paradise?"

"Databases of Waterworld and Paradise are not connected. Would you like that I made a call to our institution in Paradise?"

"Yes." Larry knew that there was no more hospital in Paradise. He wished only to check the robot's reaction.

After a ten second silence, the robot said, "Strange. I can't. There must be a disturbance. I will try later and inform you of my findings via the local mail."

"Great."

"Anything else?" the robot asked enthusiastically. The featureless machine appeared eager for another question, almost as if it hadn't had a conversation in years.

"Can you check my medical history on the Waterworld?"

"Yes. It will take a second." A second later, it replied, "No, sir, you have never been injured."

"Strange. Isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Where can I find the two women? Have they checked in to any of the hotels, visited any other places that require registration?"

"No. That's odd."

"Odd indeed. I guess I'll be going now. Thank you."

"No problem. Come by any time."

You wish I would, you lonesome piece of junk, Larry thought walking away. Behind his smile and pleasantry hid increasing despicability and hate towards everything and everyone. Lately, the whole world, it seemed, had turned against him.