Chapter 12: Tribal Remedies

The Adventures of Pocahontas and John Rolfe: Book I

Chapter 12: Tribal Remedies

The woman lunged at John Rolfe, tongue-lashing him in a language he understood not a word of. Not knowing what to do, he dropped the spear and waved his hands in an attempt to ward her off. "Please, no! Madam, I didn't mean—" All she did when she got to him ultimately was give him a hard shove. He stumbled in reverse, landing on his sore hindquarters. He rolled all the way back and hit his head on a tree trunk. It was not a hard hit, but it was in exactly the wrong spot. A coarse cry tore from his throat at the sharp pain. He brought his hands to his head as she stood over him brandishing a fist.

Pocahontas became instantly irate. "Hey, get away from him! How dare you touch him! Leave him alone!" she bellowed, kicking wildly in the bewildered warrior's arms. All she could think about was getting her fingers around the other woman's throat.

Siwili quickly set Pocahontas down on a stump and turned around, rushing over to the feud to try and diffuse the situation. Meanwhile, Percy inserted himself between John Rolfe and the irate woman, yapping and growling at her to back off from the Englishman. She did indeed jump back and squeal in alarm at the sight of the bizarre creature just before her husband was able to take her by the arm. He harshly rebuked her for her actions. She glared at Siwili and tried to pull her arm away, hissing something back at him, and then pointed furiously at John Rolfe. "Hemo si veleki to dranito va!"

The warrior shook his head. He spoke calmly but firmly as he pointed to the canoe and gave his wife a good shove in its direction. She snorted and stomped over to the boat, grumbling to herself. Furiously, she began packing their supplies into the canoe. These items included a pot of fresh fish, another of ripe gooseberries, a beaver, goose, and large fishing net. Siwili turned his attention to John Rolfe, who was sitting with his back against the tree while holding his head. Pocahontas stood up and hopped over to them as the warrior offered Rolfe a hand. "Siwili!" she called, gaining his attention. "Be careful. He is hurt." When she reached them, she kneeled by Rolfe and glanced up at the warrior. She mimed hitting herself hard on the head and then pointed to Rolfe.

Siwili cocked a brow. Pocahontas sighed in frustration and took John Rolfe's head in her hands, pulling his own hands away so she could show the warrior where the lump was. Parting his wet hair carefully, she pointed out the black and blue area where a scabbed-over cut could be seen contrasting sharply with the rest of the man's pale white scalp. The warrior's eyes widened as Pocahontas again thumped herself on the head and feigned a look of wooziness to help him get the idea. Siwili nodded his head the moment he understood. He knelt down and scooped the Englishman up, carrying him over to the canoe. "Wait, no! I can walk. I don't need to be carried!" Rolfe protested, squirming.

"Just relax, John," Pocahontas told him.

The craft appeared to have enough room to seat four people as well as some supplies in the slots between the seats. John Rolfe was placed in the second seat from the rear of the canoe. Siwili then returned for Pocahontas, helping her into the third to rear seat. Meeko and Percy jumped into the canoe too and Flit perched on Pocahontas's shoulder. "We're going on a boat ride?" Rolfe suddenly inquired, glancing around with squinted eyes.

"It would seem so. I guess this is the way to get to these people's village," Pocahontas said, catching the other woman glaring at John Rolfe again. Pocahontas glanced back at him with a raised brow. "John, do you know what her problem is? She seems so mean."

John Rolfe sighed, abashed by the inquisition. "Yes, Pocahontas. Let's just say that we had a regrettable encounter by the river. I'm guessing she's the one who sent Siwili after me." The aforementioned warrior glanced up when he heard Rolfe speak his name.