Chapter 23: Homecoming

The Adventures of Pocahontas and John Rolfe: Book I

Chapter 23: Homecoming

"Aunt Oppusquinuske, open up!" Pocahontas shouted as she banged on the longhouse door. "It's me, Pocahontas! Please let us in!" Her voice was lost to the winds but she hoped her fist's impact on the door could be heard from the interior. John Rolfe stood by Snow Angel, holding onto her reins in the deepening snow. It was up to his knees already and getting higher. Seconds later, the door swung open to the home's toasty interior.

Pocahontas's welcomer was hardly able to see her as snow drifted in and obscured the view. The Powhatan princess pushed her way past the door frame, causing a little avalanche of snow to spill into the large chamber. The first thing Pocahontas saw was the children seated around the central fire pit. She immediately came over and shooed them away from the left side of the hearth to make room for Snow Angel. "I need you to move, sweetie. Yes, you too. Hurry, it's cold out there!" Pocahontas announced.

Once the children were out of the way, Pocahontas returned to the doorway and reached outside to grab hold of John Rolfe's hand. She pulled him inside. The tired Englishman practically collapsed the moment he got past the barrier of snow, releasing his hold on Snow Angel's reins. Pocahontas grabbed a hold of them and gently beckoned the skittish mare forward as an exhausted diplomat unsteadily crawled out of the way. There were many squeals of fright as the enormous animal entered the longhouse. Some of the young children tried to hide while the adults present were totally taken aback at the sight.

Once Snow Angel was in, Pocahontas untied the ropes binding her to the sled that was already half buried in the snow. Against the howling storm, she made her way over to the cargo again and pulled back the bearskin. Meeko, Percy, and Flit were huddled together, shivering. Pocahontas took Flit and stuffed him gently down the neck of her coat. She picked Meeko up in one arm and Percy in the other and turned tail, pushing her way past the door frame again. Once they were all inside the longhouse, two warriors immediately got to work brushing the spilled snow aside so that the door could be closed tight again.

"Who are you?" came a familiar female voice from across the fire as soon as the door was shut. The dialect was one of Western Powhatan, also known as Matticox. While most Powhatan speakers needed a translator, Pocahontas had spent part of her childhood in this very village and, therefore, knew the language well. The chieftess stood up from her raised seat to get a better view of the strange visitors who had just arrived in her home.

Putting Meeko and Percy down, Pocahontas undid the buttons on the front of her coat and pulled back her hood. She shook the icicles out of her hair and took a deep breath like she had been deprived of oxygen for a while, her lungs relieved from pain by the warm air inside the building. "It's me, Aunt Oppusquinuske—Pocahontas. Thank you so much for letting us in! We nearly died out there," she replied, unbuttoning the fur coat. Flit buzzed out of the opening and flew all around the room, getting a good look at everyone present.

Meeko and Percy began thawing their frozen paws by the fire. Meanwhile, John Rolfe rose to his feet and brushed the snow off the white mare's back. He removed her saddle and bridle, stuffing them under one of the benches, before signaling her to lie down by the fire. Once she was resting on the floor, the children's fear eased as Snow Angel no longer towered above them in such a terrifying manner. While none of them dared approach her, they did watch her with fascination. The chieftess gasped, hardly taking notice of the mare as her eyes widened in shock at the sight of her beloved niece. She bolted over to Pocahontas and hurriedly began examining the young princess for injuries. "Oh, my dear Pocahontas, we were all led to believe the worst! What happened to you? Your poor father, does he know you are alive yet? Where've you been?" Oppusquinuske exclaimed, taking one of Pocahontas's hands in hers. "Your fingers are like ice!"