The Hero

As everyone knows, the Hero is reincarnated whenever there is trouble. He is usually born to humble beginnings, but rises to new heights.

I knew the Hero, and looked up to him. He lived in my village, and helped me get rid of bullies. He'd smile at me, and I knew everything would be alright.

When the village children were captured by Ganondorf's forces, I was confused and afraid, but I tried my best to be Link, so I stood up for my friends. Eventually, Link came to save us.

There were many times during those months after where Link would come to us, bruised and beaten. The holy man taking care of us once said he sensed death. We all worried for Link, but he would always pull through.

When it was all over, and Ganondorf had been destroyed, there was a month of happiness. Link was made a captain, and all of Ordon Village came to see. My dad, Rusl, was offered a job as advisor to the Princess, along with three of his friends. After the event was over, Link took us all to a tavern, where all of the kids were overjoyed to see Telma again. She smiled and gave us some juice.

Link introduced us to a woman named Midna. He said that she had helped him in all of his trials during this journey. She had strange markings on her skin, but the village welcomed her anyway.

The next month was similar. Link and Midna came to visit often, even though their permanent residence was in the Castle. They would stay in Link's house, and we all knew he had only one bed.

Then, we received word that Midna had returned to her world and destroyed the only way to reach it. Link became withdrawn, and absorbed in his work. The monster populations became almost nonexistent overnight. His visits became less frequent.

Midna returned, but with amnesia. Then she sacrificed herself to save Link. I followed my friend to Castle Town, where he spoke to Zelda about what had happened. Then he set me up with some teachers, made sure my father would care for me, and left. I know he went in search for Midna, but I still feel the sting of being left behind. I love my father, don't get me wrong, but Link was always the person to aspire to. Now he is gone.

Yes, I knew the Hero. But it is because of him that I had to be the one to step up and save Hyrule.