Ch. 20 Danger.

After a few more days spent in my hospital room, and my constant begging, the doctors finally agreed to release me. I filled out a ton of paperwork but luckily health insurance is free in this world. We did pay the hospital a good sum of money in the hopes that they won't release any of the events that occurred in the past few days. Yuri visits to drop off clothes for me to wear, and quickly heads back to Monika's room. I quickly change into the new uniform and fix my tie. I check the room to make sure nothing else of mine isn't packed. I look over to the bedside table and realize there's a small note on it. I pick it up gently, noticing a green shiny seal holding together what looks like parchment paper. Although I'm curious as to what is inside, I'm in a hurry to get to Sayori. The only thing I've been able to think about is holding her again, and seeing her beautiful smile. Lost in thought, I begin wandering the halls to find her room. Before I can get there, I pass by a room with the door wide open. I peer in and see Natsuki and Yuri sitting next to what I can only assume is Monika. The bandages wrapped around her torso make her sheets look bloated, and her skin is very pale. She doesn't appear to be awake, and I quietly back away. I really don't want to bother the girls when they're already going through a lot. 

I quickly realize I'm not far from Sayori's room. I speed up my pace, wishing my stuff wasn't dragging me down so much. I stand in front of the door, and hesitate. Does my hair look okay? I run a hand through my hair nervously. Of course it does, I spent like 20 minutes in the bathroom fixing my hair and making sure my breath (and myself overall)didn't smell bad. Wiping away a bead of sweat, I grab the handle to the door with a shaky hand. The metal is cold and slippery, but I hear it click open. I push forwards, taking in a small breath. The room doesn't smell like chemicals, but instead a nice floral, relaxing scent. I feel myself calming down. It smells like her, sweet, delicate... comforting. I quietly walk past the privacy curtain, glancing towards her face. She's in a peaceful slumber, drool rolling down her chin. I chuckle lightly at the sight, and set down my belongings next to a chair before sinking into it. I take a moment to just enjoy the sight of her in such a peaceful state. She has no worries, she feels safe... I want to make sure she stays safe and relaxed like this forever. 

I reach out and grab her hand with both of mine. They're warm and very soft, as alive as could be. I rub comforting circles into her hand with my thumb, letting out a sigh I hadn't realize I had been holding in. I squeeze her hand gently, and she squeezes back very gently. She's still asleep, but this small movement, so delicate, so comforting, puts me at ease. I don't understand how she does it, I've never felt more calm in anyone else's presence before meeting her. I sit there like that, holding her hand, for what felt like hours. Eventually, I begin to doze off. As I'm nearly asleep, she twitches. I jump up, checking her monitor. Her heart rate has sped up a bit, but it's not something bad, right? I look at her face anxiously, and her eyelashes begin to flutter. Slowly, she opens her eyes. She glances at me,and then down to her hand. I'm still holding it. "Oh um I'm sorry I-" I loosen my grip and move back, but she holds onto me tightly, pulling me closer. She inspects the small cuts on my hand, rubbing them gently. I stand still, not daring to move away and stop her. She looks up at me, and my eyes meet hers. "Who did this to you?" she whispers, her voice shaking. She looks furious. I notice my hands have started shaking. How am I going to explain that Monika isn't dead, and we're in even more danger? She squeezes my hands, and I snap out of my thoughts. "Y/n, tell me who did this to you." She seems concerned, but I can still see the fury in her eyes. I shake my head slowly, not knowing what to say. She pulls my arms closer to her, and I move closer to her. We look into each others eyes and I can tell she's searching for answers, but I don't know what to tell her. I want to tell her everything but I want to shield her from what could be coming. 

She reaches out and grabs my face, and I lean into her hand. I don't know why, but I can feel tears streaming down my face. Soft fingers reach up and brush them away, but they won't stop coming. Everything we've been through, and I could lose her even easier now with such danger ahead. "Hey.." she murmurs softly, rubbing her thumb along my jawline. I open my eyes, the tears coming to a halt. And then I do something I've wanted to do for a long time. I lean forward, close my eyes,  and capture her lips between mine. All of my worries completely melt away and all that's left is this warmth, this comfort, this... pure bliss. I can feel her kissing me back with her soft lips, and I just fall deeper into the kiss. I reach up and grab her face, pulling closer to me as she wraps her arms around my neck. I only pull away when I eventually need air, but I miss the feeling already. I open my eyes and see her beautiful vibrant eyes looking right back at me. We stay that way for a while, but eventually I sit down next to her on her bed. I glance down at my hands, and when I glance back up she's touching her lips, lost in thought. I reach out and grab her hand, and they intertwine comfortably. "A lot has happened since you got to the hospital and I promise I'm fine.." I murmur nervously, stammering at times. "I think I should wait to explain until I've had time to process it myse-" She interrupts me by leaning forward and kissing me again. Once we separate again, she just nods. I keep my hold on her hand, laying down in my chair and getting as comfortable as I can. Slowly, I manage to doze off. My dreams are filled with her intoxicating smell, and I can't help but be happy when I wake up with her hand still in mine. She's safe. 

For now.

Hey you guys! I know it's a bit of a short chapter but I really think some character development is needed before this story progresses. It may seem "Slow" and "Boring" but this is important to the plot. Thank you so much to all of the people who read my story, and I promise I will be updating sooner then later. I appreciate each and every single one of you for your constant support and encouragement. You all mean so much to me and I am so proud to have the opportunity to write this story. I love you all so, SO much. -Xan(TheNerd)