Carentan Part 3

Winters left Evangeline to acquaint herself with the rest of Easy Company, and to avoid any other embarrassing remarks from Nixon. Winters would not stop talking about her to Nixon since D-Day. Once Evangeline had left the building Nixon clapped Winters on the shoulder.

"All that shit you told me and you left out the part about her being drop dead gorgeous." Nixon said staring at Evangeline as she left. Winters chuckled.

"You're married, Nix." Winters laughed and turned away from Evangeline's direction. Nixon shrugged. He took another look at Evangeline before he turned away and went back to work.

Evangeline made her way through the crowds of men who were trailing her with their eyes. She spotted Malarkey who motioned for her to come over. She put a skip in her step as she walked over to him, making the rest of easy company swoon over her even more. When she reached him she wrapped him into a big hug and kissed his cheek. He blushed and introduced her to Muck, Penkala, and More. After talking for a bit. Muck started with his story of Lt. Ronald Spiers. of how he offered the German POW's smokes first and then shot 'em all, How he may have even shot one of his own men for being drunk. And how he single-handily took the last 105 on D-Day. Malarkey confirmed that he saw that last bit. Evangeline was intrigued to say the least of this Lt. Spiers. She wondered what he looked like and if he liked brunettes.

"Jesus, Fuck!" Someone screamed in the near distance. Evangeline snapped her head and ran to the voice. She pushed through a crowd full of men to see Leonidas on top of Liebgott, licking his face.

"Leonidas! Off!" Evangeline ordered him. He looked up and when he saw Evangeline, he pounced on her. Evangeline was able to keep her balance. Leonidas had his paws on her shoulders and nuzzled against her. She scratched behind his ears and gave him a kiss. Then she pushed him off. he tried to jump up again but Goliath appeared form behind a truck and made him stop. Hades stalked behind him with her head low and her ears back, not trusting the men that surrounded her. Evangeline rushed to Liebgott who was standing and dusting himself off.

"Are you okay?" She asked pulling a twig from his silky hair. He brushed her hands away.

"What the hell just happened?" He yelled. Hades didn't like the tone of his voice and growled at him. Evangeline shushed her.

"Sorry, he still thinks he's a puppy." She said as Leonidas brushed against her. It took Liebgott awhile to understand what was going on. but eventually he allows himself to believe the impossible, but before he could say anything, Malarkey spoke for him.

"You mean you really do have wolves?" He asked approaching Evangeline. Hades took a step in front of her to protect her. Malarkey jumped a bit. Evangeline wasn't sure what to say. She puffed out a small breath that made a strand of hair on her face jump back behind her head.

"well...yeah." was all she could think to say. "but you don't have to be afraid of them. They wouldn't hurt you unless I told them to." She said patting Leonidas's head. After a long period of explaining herself, the crowd dispersed and Goliath and Hades went back up the hill and into the forest. Leo sat on his hind legs with his front paws in the air and his tongue out.

"He wants you to pet him." Evangeline said quietly to Liebgott. He looked at her bewildered as if to say, are you fucking crazy? and that was exactly what Lieb was thinking.

"you are aware that this thing attacked me, right?" He asked indignantly. Evangeline rolled her eyes.

"he probably just smelled food on your breath." She said patting Leo on his head. She looked back at Liebgott. "oh, c'mon you know you want to." She teased with a smile. It was that smile that killed Joseph Liebgott, for some reason he felt helpless when she flashed that smile at him. He was putty in her hands and would do whatever she wanted. He took a deep breath and moved closer to the giant beast. He stuck out his hand and let the wolf sniff his fingers. Then he reached over his head and ran his hand across his fur. It was the softest thing he had ever touched. The wolf panted and wagged his tail. He was eager to play with Liebgott, but Evangeline held him back. Lieb retracted his hand and breathed easy again.