Points pt 2

a/n: just a reminder that I love and respect all of you regardless of your race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. If you're a good person, I got your back. You can always message me.

Have courage and be kind....but also punch a nazi if you have to (Liebgott would be proud).

When Evangeline heard the boys had rigged the lottery so Shifty would get to go home, she couldn't stop smiling. Sweet Shifty was always far too pure. And Evangeline was beyond relieved that he would get to return home to Virginia nice and safe. She ran into him on her way to find Winters as he was saying goodbye.

"Oh Evangeline," He twanged in that soft sweet accent that Evangeline admired so fondly. He was looking down at his shoes. "Didn't reckon it would be this hard to say goodbye to you." He spoke softly in almost a whisper. Evangeline smiled at him and lifted his chin so his eyes would meet hers.

"stay good, Shifty." She said trying not to well up. It was the first bittersweet goodbye she had to have, so happy to see him get out of there, and yet she was going to miss him dearly. She kissed his cheek and hugged him. He chuckled softly and hugged her back before walking away rubbing the spot on his cheek where she kissed him.

"They don't make 'em like that anymore." Evangeline said gesturing towards Shifty as she sat down across from Winters. She was seeking his company far more frequently in Austria. Their talks comforted her in a way she couldn't explain. Winters nodded in agreement and stared at Evangeline as she closed her eyes and felt the breeze on her skin.

"Have you decided if you were staying or going?" Winters asked taking a cue from Evangeline and allowing himself to stretch out more. She opened her eyes.

"Well I really don't want to leave Easy. But I also feel like I could be of use over there, right?" She asked looking for some conformation. Though she toyed with the idea, staying was never an option, she couldn't. Could she?

Winters wasn't much help deciding. He too was suffering from the same internal conflict. He said as much.

"I don't know. I'm having a similar problem." He stated. Evangeline jerked up at his words and faced him.

"What!?" she began, "You want to leave Easy Company?" She asked exasperated. Winters smirked at her bewilderment.

"It's not that I want to. I just- I'm good at what I do," He began. Evangeline interrupted.

"One of the best." She confirmed.

"Right well, if I'm good at it don't you think I should transfer?" He was genuinely asking her. She twitched her nose as she thought about it and tilted her head to one side. Winters found it very charming.

"I don't know. Ya know my Uncle Jimmy used to have this saying," She began but realized who she was talking to. "well it's kind of rude" she added sheepishly. Winters chuckled.

"I'm a big boy, I'm sure I can handle it." He remarked leaning forward. She blushed and laughed.

"Yeah well, he used to say 'I'm good at waking up early, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna start fucking chickens'" She was embarrassed she even brought it up, but Winters laughed at the oddity of it. "I don't know. He was kind of weird. But the point is, you don't have to do something just because you're good at it." She felt herself blushing as she explained.

"Well your Uncle Jimmy sounds like an interesting guy." Winters said leaning back in his chair a little. Evangeline chuckled and nodded.

"yeah he was."

"Was?" Winters asked leaning forward again.

"Well. I don't know. Last I heard he was at Pearl Harbor. I could never bring myself to find out what happened to him." She answered looking down at her hands. In her mind the state of Uncle Jimmy's life often fluctuated, sometimes she was sure he was dead, but sometimes she held a slice of hope that he was still out there. Though she knew it was more likely that he was gone.