6th Birthday

Alanna danced around the house, singing the tune of Happy Birthday to herself. All she could think about was what Mommy and Daddy were going to get her for her birthday.

Some of the gifts she asked for rushed through her head: candy, bunnies, and scooters. The idea of the classic large rainbow swirl lollipop appealed greatly to her and her empty stomach.

"Alanna?"

"Yes Auntie?" Alanna replied, running down the stairs.

While Alanna's parents worked eight hours a day, Lisa being a Painter and Joseph a carpenter, they make a very fortunate living. They love to spoil their little girl with everything they know will help her succeed. So, they got Lisa's sister, Austin, to babysit Alanna while they are gone.

It just so happens that she is considered to be one of the greatest teachers in the state. Or at least that's what the seven showcased plaques in her hallway say: "Teacher of the Month!" "National Teacher of the Year!" and "Best Teacher Ever!"

But of course that was no secret to Alanna's parents.

"Would you like to come to the park with me?"

"Yes, please! Can I bring the bubbles you got for me?" Alanna said squeezing her small sneakers onto her feet.

"Of course sweetie." Austin said, slipping her long tan fall coat over her shoulders.

Alanna ran up the carpeted stairs, her sketchers shoes lighting up a pastel pink and purple.

Grabbing the bubbles her aunt bought her from Walmart on their way home, she made her way out the door with her head in the clouds.

It had just stopped misting only a few minutes before their walk, creating a calming fog. The air was stiff and there wasn't much to break the silence around them besides the rustle of leaves and the sound of animals talking.

Alanna smiles seeing the familiar scene of her favorite playground that was secluded by the many trees that made up a forest around them.

"Aunt Austin, can you please hold my bubbles?"

"Sure- have fun honey."

That was never hard for Alanna, being able to entertain herself while mommy and daddy worked. Her vivid imagination had become a valuable resource during the long summer days.

Austin kept a close eye on Alanna and chose not to join or interrupt her. She knew how important it was to be independent when you have no siblings to be there for you. She wanted her to grow, to mold with the fact that she would eventually have to be independent.

She practically was already.

Austin sat on the bench near the playground, holding the bubbles, and watching Alanna run from (what she claimed to be) pirates. It was never a big issue for Austin to watch Alanna, she actually enjoyed it.

She had been wanting to have a kid of her own and she believed that being able to babysit Alanna would be the closest thing.

But there wasn't a single kid like her...

Alanna ran and jumped around the jungle gym for almost fifteen minutes before Austin had heard a large rustle of leaves, from somewhere deep in the woods. Fear spiked deep within her mind.

She did not need to turn around to know what it was, but Austin knew all too well how deep Alanna could get into her imagination. Alanna would not notice the wolf that stood no more than fifty feet away. It's teeth bared showing the sickly yellow color.