Ship's Passing

INT. DRETON'S VAN (MOVING) - NIGHT

Dale stares at the back of Dreton's head as he drives, the van has been silent for a while. Liam and Hannah sit quietly next to each other at one side of the van Dale is on the other side.

Dale gets closer to Dreton behind his driver's seat as he slides his himself up the van.

DALE

(To Dreton)

Hey, um. I'm Dalen by the way.

DRETON

I'm Dreton.

DALE

Do you know when we'll be stopping to see our friends?

DRETON

Just give it some time. Just to be sure.

Pause.

HANNAH

(To Dreton)

So how long have you been riding with that other guy?

DRETON

Miles? Not long before we saw that body.

DALE

Miles helped us back there, I think. I'm still processing it all.

HANNAH

Did you see Miles? When he finished stabbing that cop a thousand times. He looked calm, he could've been ordering a pizza or something.

DRETON

Yeah, I picked up something about that kid too.

LIAM

Remember what that cop said about him? He said he was an escaped convict. A bit of a crazy story for something not to be true.

DALE

But what are the odds. Escaped con, killer cops, body ritualistically displayed and--

--Dale, Hannah, and Liam look at Dreton as he drives the van, he doesn't seemed to be hearing what they're saying.

DALE (CONT'D)

And well everything that's happened, you know.

The van falls silent again as everyone sit there awkward looking out of the windsheild. Dale sits there and lets his eyes drift around the van.

 Dale sits there and lets his eyes drift around the van

Dale notices Dreton's trunk. It's partially open but he can't see what's inside. 

Dale moves to toher side of the van and sits by Hannah and nudges her.

DALE (CONT'D)

(To Hannah, whisper)

I've been trying to work out that smell. It's coming from there.