Key points of the plot

Macbeth's Character

When we are introduced to Macbeth he is a noble and strong character.
Macbeth's valour in battle is clear however the descriptions of him in battle show his ability for cruelty and killing.
His reaction to the witches prophecy shows Macbeths desire to become king.
It is clear however that Macbeth does have reservations about murder for his own progression.
From early on it is clear to us that Macbeth has been thinking of murder long before he had met the witches.
The vision of the dagger clearly shows Macbeth's troubled mind.
The voices that Macbeth hears after the death of Duncan shows Macbeth's troubled mind.
These visions continue after the death of Banquo showing more of Macbeth's guilt.
Macbeth's fear and paranoia cause him to commit countless murders.
Through all this Macbeth becomes isolated from everyone and push his wife over the edge of insanity.
Macbeth's flaw was his undying ambition.

Lady Macbeth's
character

When we meet Lady Macbeth was see her ambition to become queen.
She clearly sees weaknesses in Macbeth and strives to combat them.
Lady Macbeth calls on the spirits of evil for help.
Lady Macbeth is clearly a dominant character and has a stronger mind and will than her husband
She advises her husband to deceive King Duncan.
She plays on Macbeth's manhood to achieve her goals.
Macbeth remarks on Lady Macbeth's manly qualities.
Has some control over Macbeth during the banquet scene but not much.
Lady Macbeth disappears as she suffers mentally for the deeds she has been involved in.
Lady Macbeth begins to sleepwalk and is virtually Macbeth's ultimate downfall.

Good versus Evil

The witches represent evil and evil doings.
Lady Macbeth calls on evil to remove her femininity.
Macbeth struggles between good and evil thoughts while he awaits to kill Duncan. From there his evil nature truly develops.
Duncan and Banquo represent characters of good nature.
The forces of good overthrow evil.

Kingship

Duncan is a good king and respected by most
Duncan was too trusting as we clearly see many times in the play this is his ultimate downfall
Duncan does however have flaws.
Macbeth fails to follow courtly traditions.
Macbeth becomes a tyrant.
King Edward represents the ideal king.
Malcolm is the rightful heir to the throne.
King Duncan was a good king but he stood on the sidelines and therefore was an ineffective king

Supernatural

The witches are the main representation.
This is achieve through their actions, Hecate and the prophecies.
Lady Macbeth calls on the supernatural forces to fill her top full of direst cruelty and to strip her of her femininity.
The appearance of ghostly figures.
The appearance of Macbeth's vision of the dagger
These supernatural visions add to the plot and the atmosphere of the play therefore making it more suspenseful.