03 | confusion

CHAPTER THREE - Confusion

My eyes fluttered open to the sight of a beige ceiling. I rubbed my eyes as I crinkled my forehead in confusion.

Where was I?

The first thing I realised was that I was lying down, which was when my panic crept in. I bolted straight up, beginning to analyse my surroundings and look around the room, shortly before meeting a pair of cold blue eyes.

I jumped, making a rather embarrassing sound of surprise when I realised I wasn't alone.

Sitting across me on a chair was Xander Myers, wearing a bored expression and a bandaid across his left cheekbone, as he rested an icepack on his cut lip.

He didn't say anything but his steel gaze was directed at me.

"You startled me." I admitted, nervously.

"I noticed." he mused.

My cheeks turned hot at his response. Of course he had noticed. After all, my reaction hadn't been very subtle.

I began to sit up slowly - my mind still a little hazy from waking up but at least my head wasn't pounding anymore.

"What happened?" I asked, stretching my neck to the side.

"You passed out."

Ignoring the blatantly obvious tone in his voice, I continued to ask him another question.

"How long have I been out for?"

"A few minutes. You should try getting blood flow to your head or something." he muttered as an afterthought.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that he sounded like he actually cared. But that seemed rather unlikely, considering he was.. Well, him.

Xander Myers wasn't really the caring type, if that wasn't evident already.

"I think I should be alright, but thanks anyway."

He shrugged in response, before directing his attention elsewhere.

Although my memory was a little blurry, I was able to recall with certainty that Caleb had been talking to me before I passed out - everything after that was unclear.

"Where's Caleb?" I asked, suddenly remembering.

I was probably annoying him with all the questions, but I pushed my luck anyway.

"Getting his injuries looked at." Xander replied, forming a small smirk at the mention of injuries.

I gave him a look of dissatisfaction. Unlike him, I was concerned about Caleb and hoped he was alright.

The last time I saw Caleb, he hadn't looked too bad - although, that had been right before I passed out and I hadn't really been focusing.

Nonetheless, I didn't think it was humanely possible for Caleb to look bad.

"Oh my god." I uttered aloud, causing Xander to raise an eyebrow.

I couldn't believe that it hadn't come across my mind earlier.

I was missing out on class.

Not just any class either, it was Calculus. It was the sort of subject where if I missed out on one lesson, I'd fall severely behind. I was pretty sure we were starting a new topic as well.

"I have to go."

"You can't. The nurse said you had to lie down and rest."

I opened my mouth, about to reply but he cut me off, apparently having read my mind.