1 § sugar, we're going down

Here's the thing: not once in my entire life have I ever claimed to be sane. In fact I was generally the complete opposite of the word. I was absolutely crazy, but admitting it made me slightly less insane. Acceptance is the first step to recovery. However, accepting it didn't mean that I didn't do crazy things because I was currently in the principal's office for slamming Shelby Simpson to the gym floor.

Now before you start calling up your local police department, you should know that I'm a fiercely competitive person. First off, I'm in sports year round. When I'm not in soccer, I'm in cheer and when I'm not in cheer, I'm in track. After track season ends, I go to softball. I've made it a bit of a habit to keep myself preoccupied. I was a chubby kid, so when my mom put me in sports, I just sort of fell in love with it. But with that love for athleticism comes a need to always be a winner. Thus when Shelby took my spike away from me in gym class, I knocked her out. You can't just steal my move, fail miserably and expect me to not get pissed.

"Ms. Chavez, are you aware that fighting a fellow student over a volleyball is subject to a week's suspension?" Principal Graves glared at me, but I just rolled my eyes.

I interjected, "That just seems a bit too specific for me to believe. How many people do you get that fight over volleyballs? I thought I was one of a--"

I was cut off by my mother slapping my arm, "I am so sorry, Mrs. Graves. Is there any way Morgan could have detention or in-school suspension? School is just too important to miss."

Principal Graves said, "Mrs. Chavez, you are aware that Morgan is the least of my worries. It wouldn't be fair to Ms. Simpson that she has suspension and your daughter does not."

"Come on, Mrs. G. Live a little."

Principal Graves laid her head in her hands for minute and sighed, "Fine. Instead of suspension, you'll have detention after school every day for the next two weeks. Shelby will have the same punishment. I suggest you two learn how to get along."

After finally being excused from the principal's office so that she could talk to Shelby, I glared at her on the way in. Shelby was horribly terrified of me. Most people were. I didn't have the best bedside manner and it wasn't a them problem, but more of a me problem. I suppose it stems most from my inability to connect with people. I have always had a hard time letting people in. I never knew my dad and that left me with a few scars. Mom told me that he was a soldier and died in battle. She had pictures to show me, but I just wish I could've met him. Maybe he could explain things for me. Maybe I got the competitive asshole personality from him. I certainly didn't get it from my mom. She couldn't hurt a fly.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed a beautiful girl. She had long dark locks of hair, emerald gems for eyes, and porcelain skin. She was sat outside Principal Graves's office, obviously waiting for a meeting. She must be new because I'd definitely remember seeing someone that beautiful before. She flashed me a small smile as I walked out the doors with my mother.

As I trudged towards our small minivan (which we had for no type of reason since I was an only child), I noticed the look of disappoint on my mother's face. Part of me was ashamed of my actions. I was an adult now. I really needed to start acting like it, but the other half was too proud to admit that.

Mom and I just sat in the parking lot for a minute in conplete silence. I wanted to make excuses for my actions, but I knew I couldn't. As far back as I can remember I've always been impulsive and a bit arrogant. I imagined that also came from the father I never got the chance to meet.

Mom took a deep breath and chuckled, "You're way too much like him."

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, unaware that she was referencing my dad.

"Your dad. You're too much like you're dad." she had a small smile wash over her face at the memory of my father.

"What was he like?" I asked.

"Almost exactly like you. Impulsive, arrogant. He had a bone to pick with everyone, but he never failed to smile everywhere he went. Selfless. Even though he was a complete asshole at least seventy five percent of the time, for those he loved he was a saint. I think that's how I fell in love with him." Mom explained as she gripped onto the steering wheel and began driving her way home.

I looked out the car window and left the conversation at that. The conversation of dad was one that mom and I kept to a bare minimum. I never pushed it unless she brought him up first. It only upset her and I never liked to see my mom cry.

It wasn't long after that we made it to the house. I pulled backpack back onto my shoulders and started to pull out my key until noticing that the door was unlocked.

"Ma, did you leave it unlocked?" I questioned the Latina.

"No." Mom quirked her brow.

We both looked at each other before slowly pushing the door open. A small bit of fear ran through me. Never did I think someone would break into our home. It was nothing special. Hell, we lived in a suburb, but I guess it was a rather nice house.

Looking at my surrounds nothing so far seemed to be misplaced or missing. That was until I saw a large golden chariot in the middle of my living room with two beings standing in it with their backs to me.

Mom was behind me and that's when the one name I never expected to come out of her mouth came out exactly that way.

"Luke."

The man turned around and his hazel eyes softened as they landed onto my mother. He was a handsome man. A shaved head and tattoos around his forearms. He was muscular and had defined cheekbones. He wasn't Latino like me or mom, but as he opened his mouth and an Australian accent came out I knew this was my father. I just didn't know how.

This Luke, the name of my supposed dead father, ran towards my mother and wrapped his arms around her waist. He whispered my mother's name under his breath and pressed his lips against hers and as I turned my eyes away in disgust, they landed on the other person in the chariot.

Office girl.

"I know you!" I exclaimed in surprise. What the hell was going on? Why was my mom kissing this man? Was Office Girl stalking me? Why the fuck were they in a chariot and how'd they even fit it through the door?

"Hi, Morgan. I'm Emely Lavoie. Your mentor and Lucifer's right-hand man." the brunette reached her hand out for me to shake and that's when I noticed her comment.

"Lucifer?" I asked the emerald eyed beauty, but instead my mom gave the explanation.

"Baby, meet Lucifer. Your father."