Chapter 1- Valentine

Wicked to Love

Valentine

Chapter 1

Lindsey's shoes clicked a steady beat on the shelter's floor as she finished checking on the last animal. Adoptions had been going well for the last month, and Jerry said he was making great progress with the dogs in the field. If the funding she needed to expand came through at tomorrow night's regale she'd never have to turn any animals away. She dimmed the lights and made her way to the front door to stare out into the ominous night. She stole a glance skyward and took in the mosaic of stars shimmering against the velvet backdrop. Even though the Austin night was calm, with not a cloud to be found in the charcoal sky, deep inside Lindsey could sense a strange new ripple in the air. It left her feeling ill at ease. She placed a hand over her stomach, unable to shake the feeling that all was not right in her world.

Honestly, she had no reason to feel apprehensive or troubled, considering she finally had everything she ever wanted-her own clinic in the city, a no-kill shelter to help re-home animals, and an upcoming regale that would hopefully raise enough funds to expand her animal sanctuary before she had to start turning pets away.

Swallowing down her edginess, Lindsey made her way on her office desk and grab the tote bag and car keys, she set the deadbolt and switch the sign from Open to Closed. Exactly at five pm the assistant for the night shift came and she handed her the shelter's keys. After a small chit chat of pleasantries she moved to the back parking lot reserved for her and the employees of shelter.

Steering out off the shelter's house she's thinking for the menu of tonight's dinner. Her little man is very petulant when it comes to green legumes, protein smoothies and constantly avoiding her creations series of salads. She sighed, children of these days just digging in much of iron rich foods that's why she never wonder where her son got those energies his nanny complains a lot every time she came home.

Driving around at the Austin night she knows why she felt ill, glancing the surroundings with a lot of pink or red knick knacks on the park, local business establishments and chummy lovers everywhere, clearly it's the Valentines night. And she stupidly forgot it, but at back of her head maybe she purposely forget the love's day. Don't get her wrong she still loves to love cause that what keeps her going for the years passed but not the kind of love she longingly to have. The unconditional love a woman could only give to her own flesh is what she have right now, and it inspired her most, thinking her little minions at home, she decided to have a take-out order of their favorite steak. She made first a quick stop to the local supermarket and grab a days of supply for the house necessities and essentials before she dropped by at the old steak house. She only get a few caused she remembered herself promised at her little man that they'll both buy the week grocery supplies at weekend tops.

Cutting off the engine of the SUV and pressing the button for steel gates to down of the house garage she can't help to held a grin when she heard a dog bark and a tiny boy voice waiting inside of her haven. Slinging her tote bag at the right shoulder she got the handful bags of goods and made her way to the side entrance of the house leading to the kitchen area. Waiting right at her footsteps is an ecru shade of a St. bernard her Lolli, and at the side is the cutest boy on a PJ's holding a folded paper she swiftly glanced on his left hand. Made an appearance at the back of his two boys is the nanny smiling widely at her and grab the goods she handed to her before she knelt down and showered kisses her little man whilst patting the head of Lolli.

"We missed you so much Momma." said his son Michael while she scoop him with a big bear hug.

Happy by her son's declarations she playfully said, "It's only been hours sweetie, eight hours to be exact." smooching him. "Don't sweet talk me sweetie, you still need to eat veggies for tonight." she laughed at his sulky face expression. She's very grateful at her son's age he still a dependent one and clingy to her, not like other kids whose trying to appear and sound independent enough at a young age. She wants Michael to be sweet and a loving child or maybe she's not ready her little man to be a grown man, seems like teen days is fast approaching to him. Maybe she's exaggerated a bit but her selfish thoughts wants her little man to be a baby and baby still. She release his son from the hug and both move to the kitchen's counter, where his son's nanny is preparing the take-out goods for their dinner.

Lisa is a middle aged plump woman, some strands of its hair turned into grayish tone and she have the warmest smile she ever seen. Lindsey's hired her immediately during her last trimester with his son because she can't bear the thought of being alone in-laboring and lying in a cold hospital room. They were together long enough to Lisa love Michael as her own, the stay-in nanny is more like a family to her than a hired help, during weekends is Lisa's day-off and travel back to Austin suburbs to visit her family and back at mondays where Michael school starts. It's fine with her cause weekends is her bonding time with his son, just the two of them together with Lolli.

Busy at her own thoughts she didn't hear his son calling to her until she felt a tug at the hem of her working suit, drawing her attention she turned to Michael and wait for him to say something he wants instead he gave the paper that folded twice he's grasping on his hand. Before opening the card, she take a look at his son's expression. Smiling coyly at her as if he's not sure if she will like the card, she pinched his both cheeks and kiss him full at the mouth. Watching her intently she start to read aloud the small writings at the front covers "Happy Hearts Day to my Dearest Momma." that earned his son a smack of kisses on his side of cheeks.

"Aw, Momma keep reading it no kisses until you finish it." petulantly wiping his side of face she know that she's starting to irked his son by constantly kissing him she softly laughed at his son expression and Lisa is watching them with admiration hooded on her eyes.

"Ok sweetie, promise no more kisses until it's done." exhaling dramatically she turned the next cover and felt the hot sting of tears burn in her eyes while she continue reading the letter.

'Dear Mom,

You're my first kiss,

My first love,

My first friend,

My Momma,

My whole world.

I love you Momma,

From the top of my head,

to the tip of my toes

Love always,

Michael'

"Oh sweetie, you made Momma so happy and proud!, had you made this card at school?" her son nods "Thank you Michael," she hugged her son tightly "I just hope you'll be this sweeter after more years to come and when you grow older, always remember Momma loves you so much more sweetie." Michael release himself first from the hug and wipe her cheeks free off from the tears of joy.

"Thanks for everything Momma, although Dad is always busy your still caring me. I hope we can see Daddy soon, so we'll be happy together." his son smile enthusiastically at her.

Dumbfounded by his sons thoughts about his "father" she's speechless enough to be rooted on his spot, unable to move and respond to his son Lisa talk from behind,

"Michael the steak is ready! Come here, we have a magnum for dessert but you must finish all the food on your plate including the broccoli and carrots, honey."

"Yay!" Her sons wince "Kay, I'll eat the green and orange for my magnum!" the last discussion are forgotten and Michael started to munch his dinner.

Always on the rescue, Lisa is one of her pillars on the salt, the nanny is her confidante from the years pass and stood a mother figure to her and Michael. She gave a look at Lisa who's now busy spoon feeding his son. Lindsey glanced at Lisa while the latter is busy at her work, she gave her a thankful stare and Lisa silently mouthed her the word 'welcome'.

The hearts night turns to be a cold one. After she put Michael to sleep, she's on the master bedroom alone with a red wine on her side reminiscing the what-if's for the past eight years.

Michael made her think again the 'What-if's' she never thought that would still bring hurt to her consciousness. What if she's still on Manhattan with the love of her with her side, holding her in the nights so cold like this. What if he knew everything she've been through for the past years without him? What if she heard him first before anyone else? What if she chose him over her own flesh? What if she didn't turn away for everything?

She sighed dramatically and deeply. Life is full of what-if's, still at the end of her confusion as always, she always knew that it's better to remain this way...

For now.