foreword

EPIGRAPH

"There were once (six) five girls who shared every part of themselves:

blood & secrets & lovers & even a diary.

But a girl can only bleed so much before she meets her demise.

— I'll see you in California"

Amanda Lovelace

"—And where is she now? Out of my reach—out of my world, torn from me."

Charlotte Brontë

"I looked it up, you know. This heaviness in my chest, I wanted to give this ache a name.

'There are no pain receptors in the lungs.' I read.

But there are oceans and there are waves, and there is the saltwater I taste behind my teeth - with every breath I swallow, I drown.

Except. 

There are no pain receptors in lungs."

Phi Dean Vulpe (lostcap @ tumblr)

SUMMARY

          It's a cold October day in Palo Alto, California when the fateful news break out: June Beaumont is dead, and has left a bunch of heartbroken people behind and several unanswered questions. 

          In a neighborhood so concerned with appearances, the inhabitants feel torn between trying to find the answers they seek and dig up old skeletons and pretending everything will fall back into old, normal routines after the funeral.

          Sofia Wineheart doesn't buy that. After all, girls like June never did anything for no reason, including dying, and it was never in her nature to simply give up and move on anyway. Determined to take matters into her own hands, while simultaneously trying to juggle her personal life, a complicated relationship with June's brother, and a divided and slowly drifting apart group of friends, Sofia attempts to unmask the mysteries surrounding June's final days.

          June only had one last wish: San Francisco. The group is pulled back together to figure out why she did what she did, and why the city meant so much to her—regardless of what they'd find there—as the bonds between them threaten to snap.