willne; new years eve

"can't believe the year's over already," will spoke, condensation gently dancing from his mouth into the air around you both. you nodded in agreement, fiddling awkwardly with your scarf.

you had known will for a few years now. you had met in year 8, and had originally hated eachother due to your shy and demeanour and his loud and 'obnoxious' demeanour, but when you both had to work on a project together you met the real will lenney. from there, your friendship bloomed and you became inseparable, but neither of you wanted to go further.

at least, that was what will thought.

you'd been crushing on him for about a year, and both of you being 17, that was a relatively significant length of time. sometimes, you felt awkward around him. other times, you felt your worries melt away in his company.

you stood on a fairground that had been set up for the new years celebrations. stalls stood in long lines, creating pathways that contained a never ending crowd of women, men and children there to celebrate. the sound of fryers filled the air as chips, donuts, churros and all sorts were served to the masses, as well as the voices and laughter that came from the crowd.

in the not too distant distance, large fairground rides towered above all else, filling the chilling air with screams of joy and laughter even moreso.

"do you want anything to eat?" will asked, fumbling in his coat pocket for his wallet.

"it's okay, i can pay," you smiled, to which he shook his head.

"nope. i invited you out, i'm paying," he replied, getting a tenner out of his stupid minecraft wallet that you had jokingly bought him for christmas.

"if i argue, it won't make a difference, will it?" you looked as the side of his mouth twitched into a smile, making you laugh. "you're so stubborn, you know that?"

"yeah, yeah. chips and churros?" he asked, approaching the stall. you nodded.

"chocolate sauce for the churros and cheese on the chips," you grinned.

"anything else, your royal highness?" he laughed, to which you stuck your tongue out at him and stood beside him as he ordered, almost shouting to be heard by the cashier over the hearty roars of the passing crowds.

you felt the warm goodness of the large chip box as will held the two paper bags stuffed to the brim with churros and two little containers of chocolate sauce. you both located a picnic-type area where the fireworks were to go off at midnight, so you laid down a picnic blanket that you kept in your backpack and sat down with him.

you opened the box of chips, allowing the gorgeous aroma fill your nose. will handed you one of the paper bags of churros and a chocolate sauce container.

instantly, you both dove into the chips, smiling and making small talk as you finished the container between you.

"what's the time?" you asked, feeding him the last chip. as he chewed, he pulled his phone from his pocket.

"quarter past 11. you wanna do 30 minutes on some rides so we'll be back on time?"

"yeah," you began, getting up. "sounds good."

● ● ● ●

listening to the faint music coming from the rides and the loud chatter from the passing people, you and will walked past rides, not knowing what to go on.

"we could go on the ferris wheel," will smiled slightly, his cheeks reddening.

"that actually sounds fun," you replied, approaching the stand to pay for both you and will. before he could stop you, you handed the attendant a fiver, telling him to keep the change.