Ch 1: The Sea Of Despair*

The sea is furious, Diego thought as he listened to the fierce barrage of the Atlantic waters slamming across the ship, hearing the storm's howling winds masking the yelling of most of the sailors aboard the main deck. They were all risking their lives battling the elements, protecting the various fabrics and an adequate supply of spices aboard this vessel. Matia, as the captain called it.

He could have warned them of this storm days prior; after all, he sensed it way before the birds flew past this ship but ultimately decided against it— with the numerous tales of the harshest storms these men have encountered throughout their years sailing across the Atlantic sea. Diego assumed this weather would be no different. Yet, this storm almost seemed surreal, as if the torrent was working in tandem with the ocean to drag the ship into its depths. Almost as if Trident himself was retaliating against him for staying quiet and inferred that he was perhaps cowering in the captain's quarter for his fear of the sea.

It wouldn't surprise the young man if both notions held some truth. Spirits and even deities tend to have a twisted sense of humor at times. The idea that oceans or even magical fishes, such as mermaids themselves, were willing to drown this old carrack filled with the most unruly men aboard in hopes of snatching him into its grasp. Well, that all just seemed crudely fitting for such a person. At least, that was what Diego always selfishly believed to be his end.

"Would she even embrace me despite all of my mistakes?" Diego thought, sitting on a wooden chair and grasping onto a silver pendant around his neck, containing a large E engraved upon it. Only to stop as he placed a firm grip on his wooden staff, trying to steady himself from heaving out his lungs during the loud, irritable fits of his coughing, which, in turn, seemed to awaken his small companion from her deep slumber under the captain's desk.

" I think it's time you took your medicine." He nodded in response, swiftly pulling out a green, murky liquid vile inside my dark, ragged pants.

"I should have made more than five of these before we left Alcazar." Diego croaked out. He soon felt the stems of a bright red rose-colored Amaranthus flower atop his staff slowly wrap themselves around his dirty leather-gloved hand.

"You didn't have the strength to grow more necessary components." The Little Flower, who went by the name Caera, spoke.

"I foolishly chose to allow the queen to play me for a fool, and now, because of my ignorance. I'm stuck with her 'minor blight' inside me. I get what I deserve." Diego started shamefully.

"We only have two days aboard this old carrack," Caera said. " That remedy should hold you over for a week, remember?" Again, Diego gave a harsh cough, holding the vial close to his chest to ensure he didn't drop it on the wooden creek floor.

"That's if Trident would ever allow us to cross his sea." He uttered as his eyes stared somberly at the murky blue vial in his hand.

"Don't say things like that, sweetheart," Caera said firmly. "You and I know this storm has nothing to do with you."

"I don't know if you noticed, Carea,  but I'm the most contagious thing aboard this ship. So, I don't think Trident shares your sentiment. Diego said, struggling to keep his nerves together as he listened to the ocean's constant collision with the ship. "

"You need to hold it together, sweetheart," Carea said. We have discussed this: The Ocean is not trying to get you or mermaids!"

"Then why does this all feel like one bad omen? Diego asked. "Like a sign. Telling me that I should have never gotten aboard this ship in the first place." Carea let a low sigh.