Polluted Hope

Cliff swam vigorously against the currently, pulling Craig along the way. It had been a year since Cliff had seen his brother. The excitement of bringing him home was almost too much to handle.

When they were children, Cliff and Craig were playing in a patch of coral near shore when a sea turtle followed them. It was unusual to see such a large turtle in the shallow waters, but the changing water temperatures in the area had made many of the sea creatures begin to act different. Their parents tried to reach them in time, but a seahorse in competition with a sea turtle was really no competition at all. By the time their parents had reached them Craig was lost. A year they mourned his loss, but now, now he would be coming back home.

"Just wait until mom and dad lay eyes on you, they're going to be so excited!" Cliff yelled as he pulled Craig along.

The sun was just beginning to set when Cliff arrived at the small patch of plants they called home. The rays of light from the sun bounced off tiny specs in the water, creating a mosaic of beautiful artwork.

"Mom! Dad! Come out here!" Cliff called, excitement swelling in his voice.

"What is it?!" his mom called out eagerly. In a matter of seconds, they had both arrived outside.

"It's Craig!" Cliff exclaimed in triumph. He smiled brightly as he looked as his parents faces.

"Honey..." his mom said softly.

"Mom it's Craig!" Cliff yelled again.

"Baby..." his dad began. "That isn't Craig."

"Sure, it is." Cliff said, his voice more desperate, pleading. His parents looked at one another. Sadness was begging to creep over their faces.

"Craig is dead, sweetheart." His mom whispered. His dad swam up beside him and tried to nudge him softly, but he moved away, carrying Craig with him.

"You're wrong!" He yelled. He turned quickly and began to swim away. His parents called after him desperately, but it was too late. A strong current of cold water rushed in and began to wash Cliff deeper into the water.

"Let go! Let go, Cliff!" his parents yelled as they watched the water pull their last baby out farther and farther away.

Cliff's mind raced. He panicked. Holding on to Craig was causing the water to carry them farther away. But if he let go, he would lose his brother forever. He closed his eyes and quietly prayed as the vision of his parents faded away into the night.

...

The little girl sunk her toes into the sand as she walked the beautiful beach. She squinted as she saw something catch the shimmer of the sun. She bent down and picked up the creature and examined it in the palm of her hand. It laid still and lifeless. It was such a strange site to see; a tiny seahorse attached to a q-tip.