Chapter 16

"Morning Brother!" came a loud chipper voice

This split through Sans' Skull. At this point he had his face on the table. He was half asleep and feeling dreadful. He rolled his head onto the side and without lifting his head up looked up at his brother. "what" he said sleepily. Pap shuddered slightly, upon being reminded the dark bruises on the left side of his brother's face. He made a mental note not to bring it up and instead smiled "I said good morning brother"

Sans groaned "what about it is good?..... also stop talking so dam loud". Sighing to himself,  Pap put down and glass of water and too pills on the table. "For the headache". Pushing himself up and picking up the glass, he sighed lowly. "thanks I guess" he said taking the pain killers.

 "So how are you feel-

-Hey Pap what happened to you?" Sans interrupted

Papyrus froze "um what?" he said, pretending to be confused. Sans slumped his skull onto his hand and said "you're all scratched up.....or did you not notice?". Pap rubbed his arm shyly "you umm don't remember"

Laying back on the table, Sans said "I hardly remember anything from yesterday". He smirked "why,  was I there?"

Pap bit his lip (Wait.......lip? on a skeleton......oh well just go with it ) "ummm" he took a moment to consider his options. He sighed "n-no you weren't I just already told you".

Sans narrowed he's eyes as a response. Pap swallowed "It's ok....I-I just tripped d-down the stairs. He pulled a fake smile, hoping Sans would believe him. His brother just stared for a while, scanning him for any hint of lieing.

After a short time he rolled his eyes "clumsy idiot" he joked.  Pap laughed "ha ha......yeah.......".

Pap sighed "well I'll see you around brother....try and get some rest".

 Sans sat up again. He wasn't completely dumb, there was something that Pap wasn't telling him. If his head hadn't been pounding, he would have tried to press him more. But he felt so sick that he just didn't care that much. 

 He got to his feet "whatever" he said before turning away. As much as he hated to admit it, Pap was right. The idea of sleep was getting more and more desirable to him. He could blow off morning classes......he never paid attention anyway. "See ya wouldn't wanna be ya" he said as he left.

Papyrus gave a long sigh, walking back to the table where his friends were. He sat down on one side of the table and grabbed a couple slices of toast and some butter.

Mettaton, who was drinking an engine oil smoovie as normal, whispered something to him. He shrugged and shook his head "i don't know Metta" . The two of them went back to there breakfast.

Frisk, on the other side of the table, was stabbing a bowl of porridge with her spoon.

She was not happy. How could Pap be acting completely normal, despite the vast amount of minor injuries he had. Seeing Pap like this made Frisk want to grab that brother of his and-

There was a clang. Frisk jumped. She looked down and noticed Flowey had his head in her porridge bowl. Noticing that he had been caught, Flowey removed his head from the bowl. He looked up at Frisk with a scowl.

Frisk rolled her eyes. "You know it's hard to take you seriously with porridge on your nose"" she said, pocking him with her finger. 

Flowey huffed and swiped at her finger with his paw. Frisk sighed and placed her head down on the table. Pushing the bowl away, she said "you can have it Flowey.....I'm not hungry".  

After sniffing the porridge, Flowey turned away. Now that Frisk didn't want it,  it no longer seemed to interest him. Instead he eyed the buttered toast that Pap hadn't eaten yet.

Noticing this, Pap slid his plate away from him. Then he noticed Frisk with her head on the table. "Are you ok human?" he asked.

Looking up, Frisk sad "am I ok? AM I OK". She sat up completely "more like are you ok!"

Mettaton, who seemed to guess what she was gonna do, swallowed the smoovie in his mouth and looked at her with wide eyes.

Pap raised an eyebrow, giving her a confused look. Frisk crossed her arms "don't give me that look you know what I mean...... just LOOK AT YOU!"

Saying nothing, Pap just looked down at his un eaten toast. Mettaton had started shaking his head no . But Frisk was letting her anger and frustration get to her. "Oh come on Pap look what your so-called brother did to you......you could hardly walk this morning!" 

Flowey seemed completely un bothered by what was going on, as he managed to sneak some toast from Papyrus' plate. 

"How can you stand to let him treat you like this......you are a kind and good person he doesn't deserve to have you as a brother!"

Pap was still saying nothing and just watching Flowey steal his toast. Mettaton was now trying more then ever to get Frisk's  attention and get her to stop. But Frisk wasn't gonna stop, she had wanted to say this since the night she had found out they were brothers.

"You try so hard to be nice to him and what does he give you? nothing.... NOTHING....if I was you I would-

"WELL YOU'RE NOT ME ARE YOU" Papyrus shouted suddenly, slaming his hands on the table. Frisk jumped and stared at him in confusion.

"Now you listen here Frisk....I don't know who you think that you are telling me how to deal with my brother, but understand this MY FAMILY IS NONE OF YOU BUSINESS!"

He was fuming, Frisk had never seen him like this and she didn't like it ."B-but I was just trying to-

-LET ME GUESS HELP....of course you where trying to help" Pap snapped at her. He was breathing very heavily. "Well you are trying to help in something that you know nothing about!" He took more deep breaths and started to shake slightly. There were tears running down his check bones now, despite him trying to cover them.

"You have been here for about 2 months now.....and you don't know anything about me, about him or what we've been through and until you do STOP BUTTING IN". 

Pap took some more deep breaths and seemed to calm down a bit "h-he wasn't always l-like this.....and he's not mean all of the time, just" he sighed "just most of the time". 

He glared at her "and to be honest if you really want to help then STOP GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY TO PICK FIGHTS WITH HIM"......He stood up violently "now if you'll excuse me I'm going to the library....NO ONE FOLLOW ME!"

Then he walked off without another word.

Frisk sat there in stunned silence. She couldn't believe it. She had never seen Pap talk to anyone like that. Sighing, she looked at Mettaton from across the table. "You were shaking your head to tell me to stop weren't you? He nodded.

Frisk looked down at the table "well then.....maybe you should have SAID something". Mettaton jumped and gave her a hurt look.

Looking up, she said "sorry.....you have your reasons for not..." With that her head was back on the table. "I give up"

"Ummmm d-don't" came a new voice. Frisk sat up and looked around. She then looked at Mettaton. "Was that you?"

He nodded "......y-y-yes". She was ore-struck "You're talking to me?". She smiled. Metta just pocked around his cup with a straw.

"Ju......" he took a deep breath "ju-just t-t-to say". It seemed to Frisk that he was really struggling to speak to her. She was going to tell him he didn't have to when he spoke again.

"B-back when I-I f-f-f-first meet-t P-Papy" he paused again "h-him and S-Sans' relationship-p w-was b-b-broken......".

He looked at Frisk "b-but it was st-still g-good". Sighing, he looked back at his feet "h-he's just t-t-trying to t-tell him s-s-self it's g-good"

Once again he looked at her and without stuttering he said "even though it's really not"