Lunar Festival

Momoko-hime,

Have you learned to write at all the whole time I've been gone? Or have you forgotten about me already? Some friend you are.

Not that I care all that much, but sometimes I wonder how you're doing. I bet you're still a crybaby all the time, especially since you miss me so much.

How are those peach trees? Are they big enough to make fruit yet? You better not eat all the fruit before I get back!

You're probably dying to know what I've been up to. I've been all around the world making the dungeons appear. It's actually really cool! I just point my wand and then these huge buildings appear out of nowhere. Then people are supposed to go inside and try to pass trials and defeat monsters so they can get the treasure. There's been two other Magi like me who have been doing it way longer than I have, but they're old and don't really do it anymore, so now it's my turn. Not many people have been able to conquer the dungeons. It's mostly been people who are already kings with armies to help them.

There's one of the king's candidates I've met that isn't a king though, and he's trying to make a new country. His name's Sinbad. He's a jerk.

Anyways, I've mostly been in Parthevia all this time. The witch says there's a "convergence of the flow of fate" here. Whatever that means.

Whenever we're done here, we should be heading back home soon. We're going to Qi'shan, then Balbadd, and then when we get back to Kou we'll be on a long trip to raise dungeons within the borders.

Take care,

Judar

I had collapsed into the crisp, fresh blanket of snow with the scroll of parchment crumpled against my chest. I stared up at the bare tree branches and let the drifting snowflakes kiss my cheeks and nose. The trees seemed a little taller, but I had been so busy with my studies and training that I never came to see if they had grown any fruit. I felt a little ashamed, like I'd neglected the thought of my friend after all.

But my heart swelled again when I realized that it didn't matter. He was coming home soon, and when late summer arrived we could find out together if the trees would yield fruit. I giggled when I imagined it.

Ka Kobun soon found me and badgered me about getting my clothes wet and catching a cold. I went inside with him and tucked the letter away in one of my keepsake chests.

I drafted a reply, but there were some complications about sending it to him that made me uneasy. I took my letter to Koumei, since he was in charge of communications with the rest of the military. He told me that he hadn't received any communication from Empress Gyokuen, written or otherwise, in all this time. He was surprised to learn that I had received a letter directly from Judar, and was wondering how I'd gotten it. Ka Kobun said that it had come with a lone courier pigeon.

One of the priests in veils came forward when he heard our conversation. He was wearing a mask and said his name was Ithnan. He told me he could ensure that my letter reached the Magi promptly. I declined. I didn't trust that those people wouldn't pry into my private conversations with my friend. I had my doubts that they hadn't already done so with Judar's letter.

Dejected, I hoped Judar would understand, and resolved to keep him in my thoughts. I imagined him jabbing at me about it further when he arrived home, and my spirits lifted. I visited the temple shrine to leave offerings and prayers for his safe journey.