CHAPTER 2.

Chapter 2: The girl at the Pani Puri Stall. 

*

"Let blossoms fall like blessings all around you" 

-RUMI- 

*

After prayers there was a small talk about Imaan and Islam. It was quite amazing, I must say. 

After an hour, we went back to the SUV. I looked around for Azma. I couldn't see her. We walked towards the car when Azma's voice came.

"Nooo Mama!! We on the way" she was saying.

We got in the SUV and Adnan started the engine.

"Wait!" said Azma.

"What" asked Adnan.

"I have to buy something for ma" she said, smiling sheepishly. 

"Okay... ah.. that reminds me, I have to get abba magazines" said Adnan and both got off, heading out while leaving me all alone in the SUV. 

Oh great. 

I set in there boiling in the India heat. 

I took off my coat and tie. This place already hates me!

I got off the SUV  and stood facing the mosque.

I saw a stall of Aloo Puri. I was starving and that was my only source of food. I walked off across the road for food. 

"How much for one?" I asked the man.

"Panch Rupee!" he replied, holding up five fingers of his. 

"One" I said, taking out my wallet from my pocket. 

I got one, paid the shopkeeper and told him to keep the change and just stood there trying to figure out how to eat that thing.

"Haiii!!!!! Just one!" the voice screamed "Addy, stop hitting Arina and Both Simisoni's, walk in a straight line!" she said.

I turned around. Sneakers was the first thing I saw. Black pants, Blue swinging dress and a blue and black hijab. And she was getting frustrated. 

"Azar! I told you, no kicking!" she said, trying to keep the train of kids around her at bay. 

"Ali, no playing!" she again said to a tall boy.

They were headed towards the stall. One line, small kids and in between them, her. She was laughing with the kids and somehow, this girl felt different. 

They came and stood by me. I stared at the kids. How different were they from the UAE kids. There, all of them wore proper school uniforms, spoke correct English and had perfect manners and etiquette. These kids were.... different. They had a spark in them. one that reminds you of the life they live and about India.

"15 pani puri dee jiye!" she said, asking for 15 of the food. 

The man made each and passed it on. I stared at the way they ate and how I was handling mine.

I put the whole pani puri in my mouth and ate it. It had no spice in it... but it was good.

Soon all the kids were eating it. Just then, my phone rang and I quickly wiped off my hands with my handkerchief and answered it. 

"Salaam!" said Ma.

"Was salaam." I replied, turning away from the commotion of the children. 

"Beta where are you?" asked Ma.

"SHOOT! How is bade abba?" I asked her, walking back towards the SUV.

"Ah........" there was a long pause "Okay, I guess"

"Ma, what happened?" I asked.

"Nothing!" she said quickly.

"Ma...." I said.

"Okay, Salaam, be home soon sweetheart, love you and Allah Hafiz!" she said all too quickly and hung up.

"This stall sarasar dhoka karta hai!!" screamed a voice.

(This stall is cheating!) 

I turned to see her again, I must say, going crazy. She was screaming and yelling at the stall person.

"Nahi, main pay nahi karne waali!" She screamed arrogantly.

(No, I am not going to pay)

"Par madam ji-" said the desperate stall keeper. 

(But Ma'am?")

"Nahi, Nahi, Nahi and nahi!" she said.

(No, no, no and no)

I walked over to them. I looked at the stall man.

"Dekho na sirji, she no want to give money for pani puris'" said ths shopkeeper.

(Sir Please see-)

"Don't speak on this matter at all-" she warned me. "I am a girl of a high status and come from a good family" she added. 

I stared at her. 

Uh girl? Who are you again? 

I felt a hand in my hand and looked down. One of the cute girls was holding my hand.

She had a fit figure like that girl and her face was so cute. Her eyes were.. misty grey and her eyelashes were long just like mine. She had thin eyebrows and a dimpled smile. Cute.

"Uncle, kya aap meri didi to bacha sakte hoh?" she asked

(Uncle can you save my sister?) 

I looked at her.

"Come here!" said the girl and hugged her. She caressed her hair and for a moment all of them hugged her.

What was that about?!???

After a moment of silent, she took a deep breath and spoke. 

"Okay I am paying. But if you agree not to fight over just 5 rupess"

I looked at her amazed by her sudden change of mood.

She turned to her kids and slowly all of them walked away.

"Arshad Bhai!!" screamed Azma's voice

I turned to cross the road and head back to the place called home... or once called home.

*

So umm hi. hehe. 

I will put up a list of terms before the beginning of the book so you all can be familiar with it. 

Thank you for giving this book a chance. 

Much appreciated. 

| R C V |

-aalihha-