Orientation

Sang

The last week of summer vacation went quickly. Friday loomed before me and I thanked my lucky stars that tomorrow was Saturday.

Jade's end of summer bash was no more than a black spot on my life that I was quite happy to forget. Dad never found out and he never would if Marie and I were careful.

But remembering Sunday night made me think of North and Silas. I covered my face with my pillow, screaming in frustration. I should have known those two would be on Jade's radar. It would certainly explain why they were at the party. If I wanted to survive this coming school year, avoiding them was for the best. Not that I had any hope that they would approach me anyway; they probably only decided to dance with me because I looked pitiful.

My shoulders dropped and I suddenly felt super depressed all over again. Maybe I could pretend nothing ever happened? Well, nothing did happen anyway.

I was frustrated and exhausted just thinking about the kind of day I was going to have. Everyday was a constant battle to keep it together when all I wanted to do most days was curl up in a corner somewhere and cry.

I turned on my side in bed, where a patch of light streamed through my curtains and  the flowery pink patterns danced like shadows across my bed. It was nearly seven and the dreaded day had finally come.

Time to face the music, Sang. Can't stay in your dungeon forever.

The bus ride there was noisy as usual; packed to the brim with nothing but nervous freshmen and dejected sophomores

The bus ride there was noisy as usual; packed to the brim with nothing but nervous freshmen and dejected sophomores. I somehow managed to avoid Nathan and Kota, their sedan still sitting in the driveway when the bus pulled up at the end of the cul-de-sac. Idly, I wondered if I'd get to see them at all today or if they'd even acknowledge me but I doubt it. I barely knew them, we could scarcely call each other friends.

I sighed and watched as more and more people boarded the bus. Mostly young freshman who were still stuck between that awkward stage of being a kid and growing up. It was weird being the only senior there, since most drove their cars to school by the time their last year rolled around.

Pressing my face to the window, I tried and failed, to ignore the annoying boy next to me that kept playing with a ridiculous spinning thing.

Gosh, was this what I was reduced to? A bus full of pubescent and pimple-faced teenagers? I don't know whether if that should make me laugh or cry. Probably both, because I'm never that lucky.

When the bus rolled up to the school, a ball of anxiety formed at the pit of my stomach. I felt much like the nervous freshmen who had to face high school for the first time. With bated breath, I stepped off the bus and stood silently on the pavement as the other students got off after me.

The school looked different somehow as I stared at the crowd of students before me. Instead of the peeling brown and orange paint, there was a fresh coat of white and grey painted on the buildings. The entire front entrance had been remodeled and repainted, with a large fountain that had a lion in the middle with his mouth open in a roar. I was surprised, it was a real improvement to how old it looked just two months ago. Even the parking lot looked bigger and I could no longer see any trailers on the field, just an added building that looked brand new. When in the world did they do all this? I was stuck between being in awe and downright curious as I gripped the straps of my backpack with sweaty palms.