A Most Unpleasant Dinner

Sang

With the weekend almost to an end, I was quite reluctant to go back to school, knowing a long week was ahead of me. Mostly, I busied myself around the house, tidying up here and there as Dad watched the game on tv and drank his beer. He'd been quiet all day and it worried me a bit, wondering when the other shoe was going to drop. Even Marie was home and quiet, as strange as that was. I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, though.

As I debated on what to make for dinner, a resounding knock at the door brought me out of my musings. I looked up and peeked out of the kitchen just as Dad pulled the door open.

"We're not interested in whatever you're selling, go bother someone else." Dad had every intention of slamming the door closed but a hand shot out and stopped it.

All I saw was a shiny Rolex and white cufflinks before a smooth, baritone voice spoke. "Mr. Sorenson, I will only take a moment of your time, if you will."

Dad frowned and I could tell he was already annoyed by the man at the door, but he was fighting to appear as dignified as he could. People up and down the lane already thought less of Dad, I worried this salesman would just make things worse. I wanted to tell him to leave and not antagonize my dad further but I was rooted to the spot, hoping beyond hope nothing happened.

With bated breath, I watched as Dad went outside, closing the door behind him. By this time, Marie had come down, lingering on the last step as she looked towards the door.

"Who is that?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"I think it's a salesman." I shrugged, because I had no idea since Dad hadn't kept the door open that much. He hated it when we answered the door and a stranger was there. Everyone he saw was suspicious and a threat. It made being at home feel that much more like a prison.

Marie rolled her eyes, sighing. She went over to the nearby window, the one that looked out into the front. She peeked through the curtains and though I was reluctant to eavesdrop, I followed behind her curiously.

From this angle, we couldn't see much and the salesman had his back to us. But I could tell he was tall, very tall. He towered over Dad's five foot ten frame easily. He wore a grey suit, with his hair slicked back and that silver Rolex on his right wrist. I could just make out a pair of black frames but otherwise, I couldn't make out his face. He felt familiar, though.

"Haven't we seen him before?" Marie asked, but it sounded more like a rhetorical question. "I swear he goes to our school, as a teacher or something, right?"

I frowned. I didn't know many teachers at school who wore suits daily. Especially at Ashley Waters High. Maybe a tie, but even that much was rare. Only Mr. Hendricks bothered to dress up but I wondered if that was because he was the principal.

"Wow, Dad has such a bitch face on. Like, way to scare people away." She shook her head and moved away from the window, bored now that her curiosity was sated. "I'll be upstairs. Do you need help with dinner?"

I blinked, momentarily surprised. The curtain fell back in place as I moved away while Marie stood near the stairs with her arms crossed again. It was a rare day Marie helped out with dinner or even left the confines of her room at all. Mostly, she hid to avoid Dad since they always argued whenever they were around each other for too long.

"I...sure, you can help if you want. I'm not sure what I'm making yet. Do you have any ideas?" I tried to keep the excitement out of my voice, but the slight smile Marie deigned me matched the one on my face.

"You're not making dinner," Dad interrupted as he came back into the house, a cigarette between his lips. He pulled a lighter from his pocket as Marie scowled and began her ascent upstairs. "We're having dinner across the street, with our neighbors. And that means you too, Marie."