2 - Palpable

"MinYoung dear, are you still feeling terrible?"

That was the first thing that my Mother always asks in the morning. 

It helped a little with the current situation right now and opening my eyes was the biggest 'headache' to experience. I replied with a grunt, adding a painful groan as I turned around to face her. It felt like carrying an extra weight pinned on my shoulders, but I'm obedient to turn around to see her. 

Just knowing that my Mother and Father are here with me brings hope that I can live another day. Albeit I wish to see them happy, they look troubled and distraught. They never gave themselves a break. It hurts me to see them push themselves like this. 

All my family members are the epitome of my contentment. Even if I can't express it well, I'm just glad that they're here for me. Their existence in itself gives me a sense of purpose to live on. I pray that I'll get better, albeit three years passed since I was diagnosed with this illness. 

"Don't move around too much." Mother ensures and I oblige.

I've always wanted to read a book or do something productive just for a day. It'll kill the boredom, yet needless to say it stopped around three years ago. I couldn't do anything but to rely on my parents as I continuously rest on this bed. I didn't want to become a burden to this family and I feel disappointed in myself. 

There's barely anything that I can do. It's almost everyone's dream to just lay in bed and sleep. However, there are limits to what one wants. Sleeping and staying in bed doesn't feel enjoyable, especially if one has a long-term sickness. 

Disappointment is probably evident on my face by now.

"MinYoung dear, being sick is not your fault. We didn't know and couldn't do anything to stop it. It's a natural course of a cycle and I understand it to be a concerning issue since this illness stretched out."

I hummed in response and quickly glanced at the tray she was holding. I never blamed my parents for my sickness. It happened and we just need to wait patiently for a miracle or an answered prayer. 

She noticed and a smile appeared on her face, rapidly erasing the worried expression to brighten up the mood. I managed to lift my lips into a smile as well. It's nice to have these constant face-to-face short conversations with a parent. They're growing older as the youngsters follow behind. 

"I brought your favourite, spicy rice cakes. You're hungry, right?"

I couldn't speak a lot due to the constant vomiting, which caused a sore throat. It itches as if a cat has scratched its paws directly on that specific area, but within instead of the flesh outside. I only spoke when needed and probably when I want to.

"How ... is ... Father?" 

My mother cut one rice cake into smaller pieces so that I can consume them easily. She plopped one small piece into my mouth and I chewed it slowly, savoring the delicious taste of my favorite food. There lingered a small amount of sweetness, which was probably the tomato since I can't eat that much of it.

I was still lying on the bed in my room with the blanket covering half of me. The morning looked bright as always, emitting the energy to surpass through a cycle over and over again. She placed a strand of my hair behind my ear and smiled. 

Rainbows and clear clouds could form right now in this room, dismissing the ugly aura of this gloom. She exhaled a stable sigh and held my hand. The headache persists just like any other days. 

"Your Father is at work as usual and is doing his best to develop a new medication for you."

Oh how I wished my illness didn't have to get in the way of their daily lives.