Escaped Zoo Animals

I called Dr.Anand the moment Aniket's eyes closed. I wish I was the one to do his surgery. I would know what to expect. If only I hadn't lost my mind when he was taken for surgery.

I can't blame myself for this. I can only try to fix the issue now.

"Can you tell me what's happening to him? Why is he feeling drowsy?" I stood beside Aniket, trying to shake him awake.

"It's normal. You gave him the medication?" Aarav asks from the other end.

"Yes, I just gave it to him. Is it that quick?"

"Relax, Dr.Menon. He'll be fine. If you're so worried, do you want me to come take a look?"

I thought about it for a moment. My family just got over the shock. They think Aniket is fine now. If Aarav comes here, then they will think otherwise.

"No, it's fine. I'll manage." I say grimly, pursing my lips.

"Are you sure?" He asks; he must be really worried about Aniket too.

"Yes. I'm sure." I say, ending the call.

I throw my phone to other side of the bed, and climb in with Aniket.

*************************************

For the next few days, I nurse Aniket back to health. I don't go to work, but I rescheduled all the surgeries or gave my patients away to a substitute surgeon.

I hope that mumbling idiot of a substitute will do the job properly. After all, I'm paying him way too much for only one week of surgeries.

"You know, I feel fine. You can go back to work. You don't have to sulk around." Aniket says, turning into his side to face me.

"I'm not sulking. I would rather you be at the hospital, where I can both do my job and keep an eye on you."

"Then go." Aniket says, waving his hand away from himself.

"My mother won't let me. She's been persistent that I should rest." I frown at him, drawing weird patterns on his bare chest.

Aniket snorts. "Like you will rest. Honestly, sometimes I think you forget that you're pregnant."

I smile sheepishly. "I do." Aniket raises a skeptical eyebrow. "Only sometimes." I whine, sticking my tongue out at him like a child. I didn't have any arguements left.

I get it. I'm irresponsible, and can't be trusted with my own child growing inside of me. My mother escorts me up and down the stairs and sometimes has to privately reprimand me for acting rashly.

I was always hyper. Who could blame me?

I get up from the chair I've been sitting on for the past hour, when a knock resonates around the room.

My mother barges in with food in each hand. "Ma! I didn't ask for roti. I asked
for —

"No one cares. You've been craving for the weirdest things ever. Like chocolate with honey. It's not healthy anymore."

She places the food on my nightstand, and leaves without another word. She glares at me from outside my threshold.

Aniket and I laugh our heads off once the door closes. "She's something." Says Aniket, shaking his head.

I kiss his cheek, resting my head on his beating heart. I smile at his normal heartbeat, and sigh in content.

My life was perfect. Except for the tiny fact that my husband didn't love me or remember our past. But it's only a matter of time. He will come to love me.