The Chameleon(s)

My mother always told me that your loved ones are the ones you can be hurt by the most.

It's true.

As Aniket's hand raises, and he backhands me across my cheek, I do not expect it nor do I welcome it. I want to slap him back. I want to run my motorcycle over his hand to teach him a lesson.

Except, I only stare at him, unable to think or blink or even move. Tears do not escape my eyes. I know one thing as he looks at his own shaking hands.

He had done the act in pure anger.

But this time, he had taken it too far for me to forgive him. Whilst my heart is ready to forget the subject, the stinging sensation on my cheek is reminder enough to make my heart turn to stubborn stone once again.

In my own battle, I cannot speak my thoughts.

"Krithi." He gasps, kneeling down at my feet.

My neck turns on its own accord. He's making a scene and everyone is watching as if it's the daily soap opera aired every evening. "If you touch a hair on my body, I will twist your neck." I growl, whilst my feet turns on its own.

I am not in control of myself. I don't want to say things that I will regret later.

I have slapped him before. What's the difference now? That I'm a woman?

No, he promised to protect me. That was his sole job. Yet, knowing I have a phobia, knowing how scared I was to be touched, he has abused the power I have given him over me. Now, he has to harvest the spoiled seeds he planted.

I know I won't leave him. I have three children in need of a father and a truck load of relatives who will ruin my name in this city if I divorce him. Plus, there's the matter of what my heart wants. I love him.

Even now.

"Krithi. You compared me with him, and I couldn't take it. You were describing him like a hero, and me as the villain. My demons took control. I'm sorry...!" He mumbles, his tears glistening in the sunlight. He sobs at my feet, and I want to kneel next to him and comfort him.

Except, when he reaches for my wrist as I move away, a sudden fire leaps up my arm, burning me with a single touch. My whole body quivers, sending the flames burning more forcefully. His lingering touch makes me want to find a nice ditch and crawl into it; it feels like I'm dying.

My heart beats irregularly, wavering unsteadily. I gasp for breath, finally compiling enough sense to wring my hands out of his grasp.

I run towards my hospital without another word, the tears somehow never making an appearance.

Shouldn't I be bawling by now? Shouldn't the sadness wrap me under his clutches and keep me prisoner until I feel like darkness is my second
home?

Why am I not crying?

I run, run, run until I bump into a person.

Aarav. The person who is responsible for this break between Aniket and I.

Oh, how fate must be laughing at my face.

"Krithi? What happened? Why are you breathing so heavily?" Aarav asks, trying to shake me out of my shock.

I mumble something incoherent and suddenly, I'm being escorted. He leads me to my office, using the key tag hanging around my neck to open the door.

He leads me in, closing the door behind us.

"What happened?" He asks again. He raises my chin and I flinch instinctively, afraid of his touch.

I need Alisha.