one - taken

««««««««««««««««««««

「kaycee rice」

"order for kaycee!" the barista called out as I stood up from where I was seated on a barstool, walking over to the counter and voicing my thanks before picking up the two drinks and walking out of the coffee shop.

I got into my car, placing the drinks in the cupholders, turning on the ignition and putting on my seatbelt. carefully, I backed out of the parking space and weaved my way out of the lot, not bothering to turn on the gps because I knew exactly where I was going by heart.

subconsciously I hummed along with the radio, taking small sips of my coffee during the short drive. this was one of the few times when I was unbothered, one of the days I was free. gabe was busy with his friends all day, and wouldn't return home until 9 or 10, meaning that I wouldn't have to spend time with him, practically against my will. I could do whatever I pleased on that day, I could relax and not think of what I planned to do that night. what I didn't know would be a huge mistake.

when I arrived at my destination, I quickly parked and then hopped out of the car, entering the front door of sean's house without even knocking. to that household I was like family, constantly being told that I was welcome at any time. once I had walked in there at 1 a.m., gone up to sean's room and curled up in his bed with him after going to a party with tahani and bailey, all because I had had one drink and was worried my parents would find out. I had woken up later to sean telling me that breakfast was ready, and we baked and watched friends for the rest of the day. it always felt like my second home. until I didn't have one.

sean was waiting for me on the couch, netflix already on on the tv and a plate of chocolate chip cookies on the coffee table.

"here's your tea." I purposely handed him my drink just so I could see his disgusted face.

"kayc," he gagged lightly after taking a sip, making me giggle, "may I please have the right drink?"

"yep, here you go. I can't believe you fell for that, again." I said as I gave him his drink.

"yeah, yeah. you got me again." he rolled his eyes, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me down on the couch. he accidentally pressed against a spot on my stomach where I had a really bad bruise (well, a bruise that had been bruised multiple times in the same place), and I winced despite having a hoodie on. "are you okay?" he asked, frantically spinning me around to face him.

"i'm fine." I lied.

"you sure?" his eyes were staring right into mine, and for a moment I just wanted to lean in and connect our lips, too. but I knew that I couldn't. there'd be consequences, for me and sean.

"what's this bandage on your forehead?" he averted his eyes to the partially-bloody new band-aid on my left temple, where I had hurt myself yesterday.

"I slipped and hit my head on the bathtub while getting in the shower. it's not that big of a deal." it wasn't a total lie. at least the hitting my head on the bathtub part. but I hadn't slipped, I had been pushed. more like shoved. I had gotten to gabe's house 15 minutes later than I was "supposed to be there", and he started accusing me of cheating on him. all I wanted was to get  it over with, get what he forced me to do every time I came over over with, but as soon as we got up to his room he backed me into the bathroom. then he started yelling at me and insulting me, then punching me in the stomach and slapping me while I pleaded him to stop. finally, he shoved me down, and my forehead collided with the edge of the bathtub, immediately busting the skin open. as I had stood up, with blood still trickling down the wound, I was thrown onto the bed. he was drunk, I could smell it on his breath, but that didn't mean he'd have done anything less if he was sober.