Prologue

|Prologue|

Word dispels fast in the military.

The system is close-knitted— functional, much like the backbone of Tier One. It wasn't much of a surprise when the entire corporation started buzzing with hearsays of a new and developing operation being sanctioned by Director Mahmud.

"...a revised cure for cancer?"

Razif Mahmud decides against an immediate response to his son's question, instead immersing himself in the documents scattered before him. His resident Lab Tech—Dr. Logan— had finally re-engineered the treatment for the devastating cellular plague, and his plans to test and appraise such were falling into place.

Lucas stares at his father. There's a twinge of annoyance boiling below the surface, but he guises it well- its only witness being the slight pulsing of a vein at his right temple. As is usual, an array of emotions constricts him whenever he is thrown in the same environs as his father; the greatest of these emotions being resentment, unworthiness, and fear.

"Director–"

"I heard you the first time," his father dismisses. "A meeting was held and these matters were thoroughly discussed. I wish not to repeat myself."

Lucas finds himself clenching his fists. No one had been astute enough to relay to him (the lieutenant of the Special Ops Unit) the news of an emergency meeting.

"I wasn't aware of any meeting until a few minutes ago."

His father finally looks up at him, blatantly aloof. He'd always thought his son to be much too passionate, just like his late mother. "Well, now you know Lucas."

There's a reprieve as the two men stare intently at each other, daring the counterpart to challenge any further.

The tension is short-lived.

"Director Mahmud," a familiar voice emerges from behind Lucas, causing him to stiffen. His father's face brightens considerably, and Lucas' placement of the individual is confirmed. He suddenly feels swamped: his father and his rival/ex-lover in one setting?

Shoulder-length blonde hair comes into full view as she steps past him to greet the Director. She's tall, almost as tall as Lucas with a lean frame and striking facial features.

"Major Karella," the director beams. She bows and takes her place next to his chair- a position rightfully belonging to Lucas. She was, after all, beneath him in ranks, but his father had always been a master of partisanship whenever his son was involved. A dog could gain more favor in his eyes than Lucas— his elder of two children and only son.

Lucas' gaze flickers to Gemma Karella's. Her green eyes swirl with noticeable smug and disdain. He's aware of how she feels about him, but he doesn't exactly know why. After all, she was the one who had used him to excel in her ranks [and to acquire a position beneath his father's crotch].

"Lieutenant Mahmud," she smiles, though it fails to reach her eyes.

Lucas nods dispassionately.

"We missed your presence at the meeting."

I doubt it, Lucas wants to say but doesn't.

"My apologies. Would you care to relay what had been discussed?"

She throws him a caustic glare.

"That's a wonderful idea," the Director accedes and waves them off. Lucas notices the way Karella's face falls at his father's eviction, but she smiles and bows like the good pet she is.