09 | pistachio

09: WAIT, SO YOU'RE NOT GAY?

❀❀❀

"IT'S GIA, RIGHT?" Riley Harvey has made a reappearance at the Coney Island ice cream shop once more. (Yes, that Riley. The same raven haired and intensely gorgeous Riley who offered Alec her friend's number under the false assumption that Alec was gay.)

Things between Alec and I have simmered down a bit, though hurt feelings still linger. "Yeah. Riley?" I plaster on the fakest smile I can muster, leaning across the counter that separates the kitchen from the shop.

"Yep! And also - I have a question," Riley says, fiddling with a stray strand of midnight-colored hair from her ponytail.

I raise my eyebrows. "Shoot."

"Great! Okay so you remember that day when I gave Alex my friend's number so they could, y'know, hook up?"

"Um, yeah?"

"Well, that guy-Ollie was his name-called me that same night and told me-get this-that Alec wasn't gay!" Riley is one of those people that talk with her hands. And all that I am focused on is the gestures she's making with her fire engine red manicured hands. "Isn't that crazy?"

"Not really..."

"Wait - so -"

"Are you guys talking about moi?" Alec appears next to me, smirking heavily. And also is hair is doing that stupidly adorable thing where it's messy but not too messy and just overall cute.

"Wait, so you're not gay?" Riley asks bluntly, staring openly at his face.

"No...?" he says, a bit confused. Alec's brows furrow slightly, and all I can do is offer a tight-lipped smile when he looks at me questioningly.

"In that case, excuse us." Riley gestures for me to come out of the kitchen, and I just agree (because - like what else am I supposed to do? Riley Harvey isn't quite the type of girl you say no to).

"What?" I ask once both of us are out of Alec's hearing range.

Riley takes a deep breath, subsequently making me nervous (and subsequently making my leg move jerkily). "Do... do you think that A-Alec and I would be... you know, good? Good together?"

I'm taken aback by the question, I certainly wasn't expecting that. "W-what?" I splutter.

"Do... you... think... that... Alec... and... I... would... be... good... together?" Riley speaks this last bit agonizingly slow.

"Uh... Uh..."

"Do you?" Riley is persistent, her hazel eyes changing color.

"I... guess?" I end questioningly, tugging at a strand of blonde hair.

"Yay!" she squeals, her eyes alight with happiness.

I flinch at her defening enthusiasm, putting on a thin lipped smile.

"I'm gonna go ask him out."

"Ask him... out?"

"Yes. Ask him out."

"R-right now?"

"Yes."

I gulp, tugging at the collar of my work uniform. My throat constricts, tightening as I try to swallow around the lump. I have no right to say who Alec dates and who he doesn't (even if she is a head of air on legs). And I know I shouldn't really care, because this isn't my decision. It's all Alec's.

I push open the employee door and step back into the kitchen, watching Riley sultrily lean over the counter.

"Hey, Alec!" she exclaims brightly, leaning down further so that a little bit of cleavage is in Alec's line of vision.