Chapter 3: The "Date"

Amelia tugged hard as she huffed at my pull. 'What makes you think that I'm going anywhere with you!'

I pulled to a stop dropping her arm, bright red fingerprints trailed along her wrist. Crap, I didn't realise how tight I had my hold.

'It's just a short ride, it gets both of us out of here. If you don't want to come then fine, but if I see you messing with my work again you'll be punished. Otherwise, you can take a short trip and I will answer any of your burning questions, only at my approval.' A tight smirk spread across her lips. I stared into her large hazel eyes, soaking in every feature of her delicate face. Slowly a smirk formed against my lips as well.

'Okay.' Her smirk transferred into a warm smile. My stomach knotted as my heart warmed. It was like, in that very spot the whole world had disappeared. Why was this happening to me?

Slightly turning I headed towards the car. I huffed a sigh of relief, maybe she might fall off my back so easily.

However, Amelia hadn't shifted from her spot. 'Why the hell do you think that would change my mind! It was a joke, if I was to go with you I want REAL answers. Not some lousy ones you can make up on the spot.' My eyebrows furrowed, I knew these feelings were too good to be true.

I stormed over to her, inches apart from her heaving chest. Being this close, I could definitely see how much I towered over her petite form. 'Fine, I'll grant you a deal. If you leave this company with me. I'll promise to provide you with the REAL answers you desire. Deal?' I took a step back, holding out my hand waiting for her approval.

She bit the inside of her lip, arms folded across her chest. With every breath she hesitated, but eventually giving in she shook my hand. 'Deal.'

---

I knew exactly where I was going. No way in this miserable world was I going to miss dinner, all for one ignorant woman.

Eventually the looming buildings along us that sped past, came to a slow. Clearing, and scattering further apart making way for the snow freckled pines to appear. It was at least a twenty to thirty minute drive out of the city, which in the end was worth the effort. Although, once again a word was not spoken. Only the soft breathing of Amelia and I was heard.

Once the car hit a left, the smooth bitumen road converted into a rough gravel carpark.

Amelia wriggled in her seat, shortly picking up her wallet. 'Where are we?' A confused expression masked her face.

'Geez you really must be blind.' I replied sarcastically, I pointed to the large fluorescent sign lighting up the small parking space.

Gus's was the only light of my childhood, and I guess now as well. The always welcoming vibe of the diner, made it feel like the home I never had.

Amelia's face flashed playful again, her arms folded neatly across her chest. 'Wow, for Mr Rich guy I expected you to take me to some fancy place, or worse, a high tech prison were you could lock me away forever to stop me from ruining your life.'

Somehow my face managed to create a look of confusion and shock merged in one. I guess it was reasonable that she thought I would take her some place other than a diner. But then again maybe a prison would have been a better option.

The awkward sound of gravel crunched beneath our feet. And the smell of hot roast and vegetables filled our noses. My stomach growled with every thought of the steaming tender mouthfuls soon to fill my stomach. By the looks of it, Amelia was taking it all in as well. Her tan cheeks turned rosy and her almond eyes largened.

As we entered Gus rushed over to greet us. His loving smile made me feel at home again.'Hey son! Nice seeing you here. Why don't you and...Well who do we have here.' He turned toward Amelia.

'This is Amelia.' I rested my hand on the small of her back.

'I'm assuming your Gus?' For another moment, the same warm she carried appeared again.

'Well yes my dear, I don't see any other old men wondering around in an apron.' Loud laughter rumbled from his chest, perfectly suiting with the bubbly giggles from Amelia.

'Well it looks like you got yourself a fine one, my boy.' He gave me a wink, turning Amelia's face bright red.

'The thing is Gus, I'm not with, her. We're just friends.' Not only was Amelia embarrassed but so was I. She quickly hurried off down the many tables to be seated at the back, no longer wanting to be involved.

'Ah... only time may tell my son, only time will tell.' He patted supportively on my back. As if a proud father had watched his son shoot the goal for the first time. Before he left I gave him a reassuring smile, that I wasn't going to be in a relationship anytime soon.

Wandering down the back of the room, I shot a glance with a middle aged man. His menacing glare and unruly smile stuck dead onto me. He wore a felt jacket, worn down with marks and holes. And a beard no longer neatly kept. For me this was not unusual, and to be honest it came to a point where I no longer cared.

Amelia sat at a small two seater table, next to a large window. The moonlight streamed through, dancing along her pink, soft cheeks. Her eyes scanned along the menu held by one hand, whereas the other she rested her head upon.

'Did you decide what you want to eat yet?' I sat down across from her, picking up the other menu. However, from the beginning I already knew what I wanted.

'Well yes and no. Half the time I was picking something to eat, whereas the other half I was planning my interrogation.' She placed down the menu, folding her arms onto the table.

'Ok detective, hit me with your best shot.' I placed down my menu, duplicating her previous actions with mine.

'Let the games begin.'

A/N Hey all! If your enjoying please VOTE and COMMENT.