Sisters

My little girl's in better care now...

I'm such an awful person...

Ava... Forgive me...

---

I watched Mettox and Ava weave the dying grass into crowns, sitting back with Trinity. She snuggled into my side, despite the heat, and sighed dreamily. 

"This is great."

"I know. I'm reunited with my best friend, I got a pretty girl, and best of all, we're moving locations soon." As I watched Mettox weave, Ty came stumbling around the corner, his face kind of pale. He reached Mettox and whispered something in her ear. As he did, all the emotion and color was drained from her face. She was left a bony white. Ty straightened up and left sullenly, and Mettox turned to the sweet, oblivious little girl.

---

"Ava, honey, go inside."

"Mana, why?" I stroked her wispy hair with a heavily shaking hand.

"Ava, dear..." I hugged her close. "Please. Something's come up. Get inside the base and don't talk to anyone." She nodded and got up, then took off east. I looked over at where Pogan and Trinity were sitting, Pogan's face etched with worry.

Ava's mom just commited suicide. All that was left behind by her was a note.

I wanted to heave, but swallowed down whatever was coming up and struggled to stand. When I felt like I was above the Earth, I took one step, then another, then another. Towards Pogan, he's the closest Slayer. He stood and ran closer, arms outstretched. He helped me stay on my feet, but I couldn't tell if I was face-down on the ground or six feet high and rising.

"Mettox, what happened!?"

"Ava's mom... She took her life this morning... Said she was an unfit mother and glad to leave Ava with me..." I was reminded of something that happened pre-apocalypse, but that's a story for another day.

It's now my job to keep Ava safe. And to plan her mother's funeral.

Oh, God, how am I gonna tell Ava!?