III

Promise

I stared down at the whiskey on the table, running my finger around the glass, ignoring the conversations and shouts that were drowning out all the thoughts that came into my head. Not that they were particularly interesting anyway.

"What's got you so down, Maddie?" Frank's obnoxious voice all but yelled into my ear causing me to visibly jump in fright, leaving a cocky grin on his face. "It's your anniversary, where's your joy?" He laughed, slapping me on the back, in an attempt of a friendly gesture, just as I had begun to drink the whiskey. I coughed and spluttered as I tried to catch my breath after inhaling the alcoholic drink, thanks to Frank.

"As you say, Frank," I started to speak once I caught my breath again. "It is my anniversary," I spoke, attempting to think of a worthy excuse for the dull expression on my face for this joyous day. I looked over to Finnegan, who was laughing with a group I hardly recognised. "And my husband seems to have very little interest in me today." Frank raised an eyebrow as he thought about what I had said.

"Ah, I get it. You need some alone time with the boss." He smirked before yelling for Finnegan to join the two of us, no doubt so he could twist my words into something completely scandalous.

"Your lady needs a little help," Frank spoke in a whisper loud enough for me to hear but no one else, besides Finnegan.

"And you're incompetent?" Finnegan's deep voice questioned.

"I mean, I can help her out if you want me to but I'm sure it's something only you can help with," Frank smirked, slapping Finnegan's shoulder in a similar he did to me, making me choke on the strong drink I had been poured. He left the two us alone at the bar, shouted as some of the boys, earning cheers and shouts from them in return.

I didn't say a word to Finnegan, knowing what was currently running through his mind. 

"Love," Finnegan started, knowing I hated him referring to me as anything other than Madeline. "We can go somewhere else if you desperately want to." My lack of reply apparently worried him as he took the half-empty glass of whiskey away from me and taking a seat next to me. 

"What do you want Finnegan?" I pondered, my voice giving him the message that I did not want to have any sort of conversation with him.

"I know when you're-"

"You do not know me in the slightest, Finnegan." I interrupted though, not stopping him in the slightest.

"I know when you're bothered." He spoke, finishing the half empty glass of whiskey I had little interest in finishing myself. "How you leave such a good glass of whiskey half full, I will never know. We work our arses off to get this shit in here." He chuckle. I was uncertain whether he was trying to lighten the awful mood around the two of us, or whether he was trying to make our conversation seem much more like one between a married couple.

"I am bothered by nothing." I simply argued back, hoping he would not be the one to bother me further.

"What is it you want to do, Madeline?" He asked, turning in his seat facing me although I refused to look at him myself.

"I wish to do nothing." As much as I did want to see my family and friends, I would never be able to visit without Finnegan, and possibly a group of his men. "Except-" I stopped myself from talking, regretting that I had even started.

"Except?"

"I'd love to visit my family but I am aware that a trip like that will be-" I let out a small sigh and stood, not wanting this conversation to continue. I had already begun to feel completely pathetic for even thinking I would be able to go through with my promise to my mother.

I stood from my seat and began to walk out of the pub.

"Madeline!" Finnegan called out behind me, not stopping me at all. He probably didn't understand why I wanted to see my family anyway. He worked with his daily and, granted, I was now part of this family too.

But none were my mother, or my brother, or my sisters. And, having not seen them in a year, I was becoming desperate the more times my mother mentioned wanting me to visit.

Loretta ran up beside me as I walked down the street.

Loretta was the closest friend I had here. She was Finnegan's only first cousin but more a like sister to him, having lived with him since a young age. She was absolutely beautiful, shoulder length brown hair always fell in waves and her smile brightened your mood in seconds.

She was a few years younger than me and would soon enough be married herself. I was completely aware of the boys that had tried to court her, but her very surname was enough to scare of most men when they found out she was a Walden.

"Are you having issues with Finnegan?" She asked cautiously and quietly, not wanting to upset me.

"There are no issues Loretta, I'm-" I let out a long sigh, "I'm missing my family. Talking to my mother this morning I realised how desperate I am to see everyone." I was fooling myself into believing these words as well. I was missing my mother and the rest of my family, but it was Bayliss I wanted to see. His soft brown hair, matching his deep orbs I longed to see.

"Maddie, there's no need to be so worried about how he'll react to that. It's your anniversary, it could be his present for you!" She smiled brightly and clapped her hands. "Why did you get him anyhow? Or is it a private present I'm not allowed to know about?" She giggled, leaning into me making me laugh myself.

She was the only good thing that came from my marriage to Finnegan, but I was glad that I could enjoy my time here somehow.