We Don't Trade Lives

We get Vision into another room and I start during my best to patch him up, while the others start telling Rhodes and I what happened. "So we've gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodes looks around the group.

Maximoff nods, "And they can clearly find us."

Banner nods, "We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?"

I shake my head, "After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families, they're on house arrest."

"Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man."

"There's an Ant-man, a Spider-man, and whatever Phoebe's super name is." Banner points over to me before shaking his head, "Okay, look.... Thanos has the biggest army in the universe. And he is not gonna stop until he... he gets... Vision's stone."

Romanoff steps forward, "Well then, we have to protect it."

Vision protests, "No, we have to destroy it. I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, it's composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... Its molecular integrity could fail." Vision addresses Maximoff as he nears her.

Maximoff shakes her head, "and you with it. We're not having this conversation."

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."

"that's too high a price."

Vision takes her face gently in both hands, "Only you have the power to pay it."  Maximoff walks away, distressed, "Thanos threatens half the Universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

Rogers shakes his head, his eyes divested down, "But it should." He looks up at Vision, "we don't trade lives, Vision."

Vision walks toward Rogers, "Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people. Tell me, why is this any different?"

Steve takes a deep breath, but before he has a chance to answer, I speak, "Because Captain Rogers didn't have another option."

"And I do?" Vision turns to me.

Banner looks between me and Vision, "Actually, you might. Your mind is made up of a complex construction of overlays, J.A.R.V.I.S., Ultron, Tony, Me, The Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another."

I shake my head, "You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?"

"I'm saying that if we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

"Can we even do that?" Romanoff asks.

"Not me." Branner shakes his head, "Not here."

Rhodes sighs, "You better find someone and somewhere fast. Ross isn't exactly just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back."

I take a deep breath and look around the room, "I know somewhere."

"Yeah," Rogers nods, "So do I."