Chapter Nine

“Aunt Susan, will you play with me?” Amelia asked, turning her golden brown eyes up to Susan.

     “Amy, darling, Auntie Susan just walked in.” Jess admonished.

     “I will gladly play with you in a while, Amelia.” Susan said with a smile. She patted her head. “Let me sit down in a chair that doesn’t move for a while and drink tea, all right?”

     “Look at Joey first.” She ran across the room.

     Anthony straightened up from the bassinet with a small bundle in his arms. “Hello, Joseph.” He whispered. He looked at Susan. “Come see this adorable one.”

     She leaned over the baby and he opened his eyes. “More of those brown eyes.” She kissed his small face. “So sweet. Like your brothers and sister.” She and Anthony shared a smile.

     The weeks that passed between Lavender’s revelation and leaving for Cheval were difficult. Susan and Lavender had a long talk about the implications of the move. Lavender promised to make the best of the time she had left in Baloton. Susan offered her own home for some private time. Susan came to a good spot in her life. Their affair would be done, but it wouldn’t be an abrupt end. They had several months until it was finally over.

     Susan took the baby from her husband. She hummed softly to him.

     Anthony kissed her temple. “How about a game of billiards, Al?”

     “Sounds perfect.”

     “Us, too?” Lindsey asked.

     “Please?” Alexander pleaded.

     Alec chuckled. “Come along, boys. We’ll leave all the ladies to the baby.” He paused in front of Jess and placed a finger underneath her chin. He spoke softly to her and then quickly kissed her.

     Jess had a smile and a soft blush on her cheeks as he walked away. She looked over her shoulder at him and grinned. “Please, Susan, have a seat.” She moved to the sofa and patted the spot beside her.

     Susan gingerly sat down beside her sister-in-law. “He’s such a pretty baby, Jess.”

     “Thank you.” Jess smiled. “Alec wanted me to stay in bed, but I refused. With you and Anthony coming for the holiday, I wanted to show him off myself. I may go back up soon, if you don’t mind.”

     “I don’t.” She looked up. “Would it be all right for Anthony and me to bring a child here?”

     Jess grabbed her arm. “Are you?”

     Susan shook her head. “We are going to visit the orphans’ home while we’re here.”

     Jess’s hand dropped. “May I ask… Is it because you can’t…?” She made feeble gestures, looking over her shoulder at her daughter. “Perform in the bedroom?”

     “That’s part of it.” Susan answered. She looked back down at the baby. “Some people don’t realize how special they are. They just throw their children out without a care. Anthony and I wish to make one of those children secure in life.”

     “I think that’s so sweet.” She leaned close. “Sometimes he scrunches up his face and it reminds me of Alec.” She laughed. “He’s so adorable.”

     “Such a proud Mama.” Susan teased.

     Jess grinned. “Of course.”

     Amelia ran over. “Play now, Auntie?”