Epilogue - Together

A Year and a Half Later

Dear Mom,

I was told it can help sometimes to write a letter. So here goes.

I was so angry. There, I said it. You were my motivator, my cheer squad, my friend. Then you weren't. There's a hole, an ache I can't fill. And I'm afraid it's never going to go away.

Little by little, I'm stepping out. Piecing myself back together. Becoming my own person. I'm grateful for all you've taught me. The strength and love and faith you always showed. The wonderful example of what being a great mom and wife could look like. You were always wonder woman to me.

And that horrible list. I'm even grateful that you thought to write it. Pushing me to be my best, even when you couldn't be here. I've been angry, cried, and even laughed completing some of the items on your list. But I am grateful for it. Without that shove, I wouldn't have met one of the people who has helped me in my journey to heal.

I think you would approve. Peter is wonderful. Sweet with a delightful side of sarcasm that you would have enjoyed. Dad seems to like him.

I almost let my fear of losing someone else stop me from being with him. It hurts my heart to think about that. That I could have held myself back. Not put myself out there. I could have played it safe. But then where would I have been? I know I would have been lonely. I know I would have isolated myself. I was already headed in that direction before Nicole started doling out things to do from that list.

Some days I am so ridiculously happy, I can't stop smiling. Other days it will still hit me that you aren't here. I don't know how many times I've reached for my phone to call you. Just to remember you aren't going to be on the other end.

I wish you were here so I could talk to you. I am grateful for the people that are in my life. I'm trying each day to find a little bit of happiness to cling to. Most days that isn't a hard thing to do.

Dad and I have grown closer. We talk about you. It's nice. Helps to talk about you. He has shared some interesting stories. (Mom, you wild woman, you!)

Well tomorrow I'm going back up in a basket of doom. I mean a hot air balloon. It is wonderful after the initial nervous breakdown goes away. If you are looking, I'll be the one hanging on for dear life.

(P.S. I won the art contest. Thank you for that push too. I kept the painting. I haven't been able to look at it yet. I'm hopeful one day it won't hurt to look at.)

I miss you momma. I hope I make you proud.

All my love from Cappadocia,
Bea

All my love from Cappadocia,Bea

"Ready to go?"

Bea looked up at Peter as he smiled down at her. The fire from the balloon's burner, cast a romantic glow on his face. Bea felt the sides of her mouth start to turn up. She nodded as she shoved the letter back into her bag. "All set."