Scar

"Can you pass me the salad bowl?" My sister, Sarinna asks. I hand it to her. We're at the dinner table, eating together.

Ma clears her throat, getting everyone's attention. "So, Zakiyah... School starts next week."

"Don't remind me," I groan. This summer has felt WAY too short. How are we already going back to school?

"You still need to go school shopping," she tells me.

"You need money?" Dad asks, already reaching for his wallet.

Mom casts her dark brown eyes on him."She doesn't need any money. You just gave her $200 the other week."

"Yeah..." I go. "But I have to go SCHOOL shopping. This is my junior year. It matters." She just sighs and Dad slides me a hundred dollar bill. I smile to myself and slip it into my pocket. I love my dad.

We clean up and I escape to my room, leaving Sarinna to do the dishes. I throw myself on my bed and mess around on instagram before going into my bathroom to take a shower.

I pull my curly black hair outta the two braids I've had them in today and let the hot water run over my body. My muscles relax even though I'm  thinking about school. I hate school. It's so stressful for no reason at all.

I get out a few minutes later and stand at the sink to brush my teeth.

Wrapping a towel around myself, I walk back into my room. I go to my closet and pull out my pajamas. "Hey!" Someone goes over my shoulder. I scream and turn around to hit the person. He catches my wrist in his hand.

I stare into Xavier's light brown eyes. He squeezes my wrist and it takes me a while to realize that it actually hurts. "Your hurting me." He just stares at me but I don't think he's actually SEEING me.

"Don't hit me." He doesn't sound normal.

I push him away. "Get away." He drops my wrist and seems to come outta his daze. He blinks at me and looks sad.

"I gotta go." I watch him climb out my open window and into the cool night.

I rub my throbbing wrist. What the hell just happened?

                     +++++++++++

"I can't believe tomorrow's the first day of school," Marissa whines, leaning her head on the edge of the pool. We've chosen to spend our last day of freedom, lounging in my pool.

"Ugh! Right?" Michael groans with her. "Back to breaking our backs with heavy books."

"Ok..." Aiden grins. "But FOOTBALL." He nods at all of us like we all like football.

"IF you make the team," Xavier sneers. I've been waiting for him to explain what happened last week but he hasn't, so we haven't talked all week. I would ask him, but years of knowing him have taught me that that's not the way he works.

"WHEN I make the team, you mean." Aiden splashes water at him. "I'm serious y'all. This is gonna be my year."

"Love that energy, Aid." I raise my glass of lemonade in the air. "To making this year OUR year."

"To making this year our year!!" They all raise their glasses, smiling. Makes me wanna stay in this moment forever cuz if I gotta be honest, junior year sounds scary.

"Yo, Kiyah? What happend to your wrist?" Michael nods at me.

I look at the fading bruises on my wrist. I glance at Xavier and quickly look away. "Fell outta the tub," I shrug, grinning.

They all chuckle. "Such a clutz," Marissa shakes her head, swigging her drink. In the corner of my eyes, I see Xavier guiltly run his fingers through his wet curly hair.