Results

I'm chilling in my room when Tino and Enzo walk in. They come and sit on my bed. I put down my phone to see what they want.

"Wassup?" Tino grins annoyingly.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"We-- I mean Enzo misses Zakiyah," Tino lies. "And he wants to know when we can see her again."

They keep asking about her and I just don't be knowing what to tell them.

"Christmas is in two days," he continues. "We got her something and we wanna give to her."

"Zakiyah's in the hospital," I tell them. They stare at me, kinda confused.

"W-What do you mean?" Tino asks.

Enzo cocks his head at me. "Is she sick?"

I shake my head. "She's hurt, but she's gonna be fine."

"So we're gonna visit her in the hospital?" Tino looks at me hopefully.

"I--" My phone pings and I look at the screen. It's Cyrus.

Yo.
What's up with Zakiyah?
She's gone MIA.

I debate whether I should reply back or not. I do. Only cuz I know he's worried about her and I know how that feels.

She's in the hospital.

Wtf!
What happened?

She was in an accident.

I turn back to the boys and shrug. "We'll see."

Tino grins at me. "Do you miss her too?" I just look at him. "You miss her, you do."

"Get outta my room," I gently shove him with my foot.

He picks Enzo up and walks out singing "Xavier misses his girlfriend! Xavier misses his girlfriend!" I swear to God he annoys me sometimes.

My phone goes off again.

Is she ok?
What hospital is she at?

She's fine ok?
Now stop texting me and lose
my number.

That makes him leave me on read.

+++++++

It's extra quiet during dinner that night. We don't ever really talk much during meals, even Sean's not doing his usual side remarks. It's weird and off setting.

When we're all done eating, I get up to load the dishes into the dishwasher. Sean clears his throat. "Sit down." Glancing at Mom, I take my seat again. "How was everyone's day?" We all mutter incoherent answers. He nods his head and looks around the table. "Anything new happen?"

No one answers even though we tell each other anytime something new happens.

"Well, since no one else wants to share, I have news."

"What's your news, honey?" Mom asks nervously.

He stares at her then turns to stare me down too. He looks back at Mom. "I'm being investigated. But that's probably not news to you." Me and Mom don't say nothing. "Which one of y'all called the feds on me?"

Tino gets outta his seat. "Let's go play hide and seek," he tells Enz and Reese. The three of them walk out the kitchen, leaving me and Mom alone with Sean.