Eight. In the Name of Acting Out

"Briella," Alex grinned, looking way too satisfied for my liking.

"Alex," I flashed him a smile before looking down at the cup in my hands.

"You two know each other?" Liam smiled, shutting the door.

"Nope," I shook my head.

"We have Biology together," Alex walked over to the futon and smiled at Trevor. "You mind if I sit here?"

"Yes, he minds," my eyes narrowed. "You can't just waltz in here and order people around."

"No, it's cool," he yawned, standing up and collapsing on Maya's lap.

"Trevor," she whined, squirming under him.

I clicked my tongue as Alex settled down next to me. His legs brushing against mine made me realize how small the couch was. Why were three people trying to fit on it? I shifted a little to make some space between us, but my attempt was fairly useless, and I ended up getting closer.

"How are you doing?" He asked, after greeting everyone in the room, flashing me a charming smile that made my heart stutter.

Why oh why did he have to be so hot? I mean, really. The day I decide to make some serious changes just has to be the day I meet him? If there's really a God up there is just plain mean.

My palms started to get that familiar itch as I stared at him, and I began to wonder if he actually grew more attractive since I saw him a few hours ago. Maybe my ridiculous sex driven mind was just fucking with me.

"Fine," I said politely, turning away quickly before I jumped his bones and smiled at Rebecca.

"What are yours thoughts on veganism?"

"Oh, um," she looked a little caught off guard, but smiled all the same and nodded. "I think it's great for people who can do it. Personally, I'm not so strong. I have a weakness for hamburgers."

"God, I could use a hamburger right now," Trevor groaned.

I wrinkled my nose at the mere thought of a burger and my stomach flipped.

"You are aware that innocent sentient beings have to be murdered in disgusting ways for you to get those hamburgers don't you?"

"Murdered in disgusting ways is an interesting way to put it," Alex's attractive voice (God, was everything this guy did sexy?) said. "Considering most slaughterhouses are humane in their killings."

I scoffed and turned to look at him, arching my eyebrows. "Don't you think it's ironic to put slaughterhouse and humane in the same sentence?"

"You know what I mean," his lips weren't turned up in a smile, but I could hear it in his voice and I could see it in his eyes.

"No, actually I don't," I cocked my head. "What's so humane about murder?"

"Murder is a loaded word," Brandon said, leaning forward, his interest clearly sparked. "Don't you think?"

"Not at all. What's it called when you kill someone with intention?"

"But animals aren't someone's," Dylan piped up, looking up from his phone. "Their animals."

"Okay," I nodded. "So, why don't we flame up a dog and eat it for dinner?"

"Well, that's different," Dylan waved a hand. "Dogs have been domesticated. Domesticate cows and we won't eat them either."