A Crush?

Peter stepped out of the large elevator, groaning as he tossed his backpack to the side. He heard the soft noise of pans clanging in the kitchen and figured it was his father. He walked around the corner seeing he was right. His father stood there in an off-white apron with the words "Captain of the kitchen" written on it in large black letters. 

     His father seemed to not notice his presence as he made dinner. "Hey, Pops" Peter said as he sat down in one of the tall stools at the marble island.

     Steve spun around, a large spoon in one hand and salt in the other. "Hey, Pete!" He turned back around quickly and stirred, what Peter assumed was some kind of homemade soup that he often made, before placing the lid on it and turning around again, leaning on the island, a large smile on his face. "How was school, kiddo?"

     Peter shrugged, resting his cheek of his fist and sighing softly. "It was okay, I guess." He paused. "Actually, there's a new kid. He seems nice... And he's funny." Peter smiled lightly as Steve chuckled, shaking his head slightly. Peter frowned in response. "What?"

     Steve shot him a knowing look, "Sounds like you might have a little crush there, Pete."

     Peter looked at his father, horrified. "I do not!" Peter's face heated up as his father laughed. "I don't like him, Pops!"

     "Who does Peter like?"

     They both look in the direction of the voice. seeing Tony Stark walk into the room, the ever present air of confidence around him. Peter quickly looks down at the counter top, folding his hands in his lap. Steve turns to his husband, smiling tightly. "Hi honey."

     Tony waves him off with a flick of his hand. "Nobody answered my question yet." He looks at his son, waiting.

     "Tony." Steve pulled Tony's eyes from their son. "It's nothing really. There's a new student who he has a crush on. Peter's a teenage boy, it happens."

     Tony again moved his gaze back to his son. "That better be all it is, Peter."

     Peter nodded slightly, not looking up. "Of course, sir."

     "Its not a big deal, Tony." Steve stated, glaring at his husband. "I'm sure you were the same as a kid."

     Peter piped up before Tony could reply, "It's not a big deal, Dad. I don't-"

     "Shut it, kid!" Peter flinched. "I don't think I talking to you. Was I?"

     Peter shook his head. Refusing to look up. Tony stepped closer, "I didn't hear you."

     "No sir."

     Steve frowned, looking at the scene on front of him. "Why are you so insistent on Peter not liking anyone? Why is it so important to you?"

     Tony turned to him, a small smile on his face. "Nothing you need to worry your pretty little head over."

     Steve stood straighter. "Anthony-!"

     "Peter! We need to talk. Living area, now!" He walked away from his fuming husband and into the large open living area, not waiting on his son.

     Peter followed, ignoring Steve's worried gaze. He sat down beside Tony on their black leather couch, making sure to leave a few inches between them.

     Tony sighed turning to face his son. "I don't want you to get hurt, Pete. I'm just trying to help."

     "But, Dad-"

     "Shut up and listen." Peter flinched back, avoiding his father's eyes. "This kid you like, doesn't like you. People will say they like you just to use you. They jut want things from you. They'll use you to get to me." He paused, placing a hand on Peter's shoulder. "They would only date you for an alternative motive."

     Peter sat, staring at his shaking hands. "That's... that's not true."

     "It is, Pete. I know you don't want to believe it, but it's the truth."

     Peter felt a tear roll down his cheek as Steve walked into the room. He tried to wipe his cheeks before his father saw but it was too late.

     "Tony! What did you say to him?"

     Tony stood slowly, as Peter placed his head in hands. "I told him the truth, Steve."

     Steve walked closer to his husband, glancing at Peter. "What truth, Tony?"

     "I told him why he shouldn't go around trusting anyone."

     Steve, confusion clear on his face, crossed his arms. "And why would that be?"

     "Because people would just use him."

     Steve's confusion turned to anger. "Why the hell would you think that, let alone say that to your own son."

     "Because its true. No one would like him without wanting something. He would have to learn it sooner or later."

     "I can't believe you-!"

     "Stop!" Both parents whipped their heads toward their son. Peter's anger deflated as quickly as it showed up. "Just- please stop fighting."

     Tony frowned. "Go to your room, now." Peter stood up slowly, glancing at Steve before heading to his room, asking Jarvis to not let anyone in.

     Once Peter was out of earshot, Steve turned to Tony. "Why the hell are you acting like this Tony?"

     He glared at Steve, rolling his shoulders. "I'm being a parent Steve."

     "No. You're being an asshole." He scoffed, crossing his arms. "Why can't he have a simple crush?"

     "Because they would just use him, Steve. They would use him to get to me!"

     "Everything's about you, Tony, right?"

     Tony looked away, rolling his eyes. "Actually Steve, it is. Haven't you realised who in this house is a billionaire?"

     Steve deflated. "Right." He turned away, heading into his office area.

     Peter lied face down in his bed, crying silently. His father must be right. Would anyone like him if he wasn't rich?

     A few hours later, Steve knocked on his son's door, waiting for an answer. After none came, he opened it  slowly, seeing Peter sitting on his bed, headphones on, staring out the window.

     Steve walked into the room, tapping Peter on the shoulder softly. Peter tensed, spinning around. When he saw Steve, he loosened up, slipping his headphones off. Steve noticed the tear streaks on his son's cheeks, and he felt his heart break.

     "Pop?" He looked at Steve, eyes shining with tears. "Why has dad been acting so... different recently?"

   Steve sucked in a breath, looking away. "I don't know, Pete... I don't know." He sat on the edge of the bed, feeling Peter lean his head on him.

     "Pop?"

     "Yeah?" He put his arm around his son.

      "Do you still love Dad?"

     There was a long pause before Steve replied quietly, "I'm not sure he's even the same person I fell in love with."