Four

The next day, the horse-drawn pumpkin carriage jostled over the rocky path. We passed through the city with their glass dwellings and gold trimmings. In front of a mansion stood a human merchant's wife, her body dripping in extravagant jewellery. An elvish child dashed from another home, a faerie chasing him. Unlike the other kingdoms, the Glass Kingdom was a mishmash of species. We had the largest population of humans coming from old money. They had accepted the fall of their mortal patriarchy with barely concealed resentment. But any dissension that had arisen was soon forgot when it became apparent Cinderella's rule would only increase their wealth. They led even more luxurious lives now than before. Even if there were an attempt to dethrone her, she would merely press her will on them until the very thought of rebellion made them want to drown themselves in the Tioatian Lake.

The carriage passed the intersection to my father's modest farm on the border. Built of wood, it stood out amongst the signature glass structures of our kingdom. The carriage took a left onto the road which would lead us straight across the border between kingdoms and into the concentrated towers of the faerie courts.

I rubbed my neck, trying to release the tight muscles. After Mother severed Aidan's finger, I tried to tell him how much it hurt me to see her control him. He merely bowed his head, his face stony. I didn't like leaving things unresolved between us. He'd always been a friend, almost a father figure, and now ... there was something impenetrable between us. I'd disappointed him. But surely he knew I couldn't stop my mother. She was our queen and sharp as broken glass. She was my blood, the reason I grew up in a palace instead of in poverty, and I would one day be a powerful siren, just like her. I couldn't stand against her.

I needed to focus on the academy and my awakening. If a werewolf or vampire, or any other immortal not loyal to the Glass Kingdom, discovered I was still human, well ... let's just say I wasn't interested in becoming dog food.

I tugged on my hair. Outside, the faerie court towers loomed, vines trailing up the stonework to steepled roofs. A faerie flew from one tower to another. Younger faeries, not yet able to fly, crossed on rope bridges. The carriage came to a stop before one of the more prominent towers.

"Do you have enough underwear? What about socks? Are you sure you have the campus map?" Rapunzel yelled.

Corrie yanked open the door and jumped in, smacking me in the face when she adjusted her wings behind her. The carriage wheels squeaked as her luggage was loaded onto the back. Corrie grimaced at her waving mother. Rapunzel's hair trailed past her feathery wings and up the side of their tower, as if her hair was just another vine.

"Do you have lunch?"

"Don't worry, Mother, we'll be fine. Bye."

Corrie thumped the shell of the pumpkin with her fist. "To the academy, driver."

She fell back onto the seat cushion as the carriage rolled forward. She wore ripped jeans and a black mesh top that tied around her waist and behind her neck, leaving room for her wings and not even trying to hide her lacy pink bra. Designing and conjuring clothing was big business for the Kingdom of Towers. Trade throughout the six other kingdoms made theirs the second richest kingdom. Though I suspected if the witches had a kingdom, instead of living in covens spread throughout the lands, they would surpass even the faeries.

"What in the world of magic are you wearing?" She arched a brow at me.

"What? You don't like it?" I snorted. My mother had insisted I dress like her for my grand entrance at the academy. Powerful first impressions and all that.

"Subtle." Corrie tugged on the baby pink lace. The dress was heavily sequined with a gold-encrusted corset from which flowed excessive amounts of fabric down my legs. I even had a cape. Eye-catching? Definitely. Manoeuvrable and functional? Doubtful.

"So much for lying low and not drawing attention."

Corrie's hair had grown a number of inches and was now down to her chest. Pulling scissors from her back pocket she proceeded to cut it, dropping tufts of hair out the carriage window. I once asked her why she kept her hair short. She told me you only had to catch your parents doing kinky hair sex once.

"Cinderella knows we're going to a training academy for immortals, not the Winter Ball, right?"

I pulled out my own clothes from under the seat and stripped off the dress. I changed into a chequered short skirt and grey sweater, clipping a leather sheath to my thigh for my dagger. A little thrill ran through me. This was the first time either of us were leaving the safety of our birth kingdoms. At the academy, we wouldn't be daughters of the infamous Cinderella and Rapunzel. We would just be two students, transitioning into our immortality.

Corrie nodded, putting her scissors away. "Much better." She rocked her usual pixie cut. The short hair stuck out in uneven tufts all over her scalp. She was gorgeous.

Gathering up the dress, I chucked it out the window.

"To the academy," I hollered.

Corrie laughed, sticking her own head out the window and echoing, "To the academy, bitches!"