fourteen.

The best thing about the biomedical engineering department - in Dev's humble opinion - was the fact that it was so tiny. There were all of three professors and maybe a dozen students in his cohort. Everyone knew everyone. Dev was on a first-name basis with his advisor. It was all very chummy.

Right, chummy. That was the vibe Dev was going for here. All he was going to do was ask if Alicia wanted to go over the material before finals. Maybe this study session involved a coffee or two in a location that was, let's say, cozy. And if this single study session spawned a few more, Dev certainly wouldn't complain.

But he wasn't going to think about that now. Too much pressure. This was just about one, solitary afternoon. Two BME students helping each other before exams. Nothing to stress about. He just had to ask. Super casually. He wasn't anxious about it at all.

Which is to say he'd spent the entirety of the lecture period drafting exactly how he was going to ask Alicia out - complete with multiple choices for each potential response. Dev could safely say it was the whole lecture, because he first thought it up when he walked in and it occupied his thoughts until Dr. Sutton announced that everyone could pack up their things just seconds ago and- Oh, god, Alicia was already headed for the door.

Dev leapt to his feet, haphazardly throwing everything in his bag and not even bothering to pull it over his shoulder. Between his long legs and the adrenaline coursing through his system, he caught up with Alicia in three strides.

"Hey, Alicia!" Dev called.

Alicia turned around, freezing Dev in place with a single glance. Her eyes...they were such a dark, lovely brown. Dev could just feel himself falling into them.

Oh, she was waiting for him to go on, wasn't she? Unfortunately, all the adrenaline left his body the moment after she looked at him. Dev's tongue felt numb.

"What is it, Dev?" Alicia asked, clearly fighting the urge to glance at the doors behind them. "I don't mean to be rude, but I kinda have to-"

"Right, right. Of course," Dev said quickly, only to bite his tongue when he realized he'd run over her words.

And, because his brain hated him, the moment he stopped talking, he found it impossible to start up again. Inertia, thou art a harsh mistress, Dev thought as he flapped his useless mouth. Oh, come on, he had this whole thing planned out in his head, didn't he?

"So, Alicia, I was wondering-" Dev began just as another voice called, "Devraj, may I speak with you a moment?"

Blinking, Dev turned to the professor's podium. When Dev's eyes landed on him, the professor looked up. There was something in his gaze that made a chill run up Dev's spine. Not that a professor calling him out after class wasn't objectively terrifying, but this was...something else.

Belatedly, Dev remembered Alicia. She was still staring expectantly at him. Perhaps impatiently. Oh, hell, how was he supposed to pack the monologue he'd prepared into five seconds? And with the professor watching, too.

"You know, I'll just ask next period we have together," Dev decided instead, trying to play it off with a casual smile. Alicia said nothing as she turned around and her expression gave nothing away. Dev's heart sank watching her walk out the door.

That left just himself and Dr. Sutton in the room. If it were possible, Dev's heart sank lower. Well, no time like the present, Dev sighed and walked over to the lectern. There really wasn't a reason he should be nervous, he tried to tell himself. He was doing fine in the class and Dr. Sutton wasn't his project advisor. He probably just wanted to ask him about...Oh, bloody-

Jenn.

Dev's mouth inexplicably decided that this was the best time for a Bugs Bunny impression. "What's up, doc?" He winced immediately after.