Chapter 4- Bonnie Bliss

The man gets closer and closer as I catch up. I've been training my skills and working on my speed so despite how fast this man is running, I'm able to gain ground on him. The crowd opens up just watching our chase. I'm surprised the people in this city don't do something to try to stop the thief. I would have thought better of these people.

The man looks behind him with a smirk, probably thinking that with his fast running he has lost me. His smirk turns into a gasp when he noticed that not only am I still in his sight but I am just a few meters behind him. This shocks causes him to trip and he goes flying onto the ground, the purse falling and spilling out...nothing. My own face registers with shock as I stop above the fallen man.

"What is this? Why would you steal an empty purse?" The man just groans in response, the fall he took having had almost knocked him out from the impact. "Tell me thief!" I say raising my voice just a little to show my true seriousness. I'm interrupted by the sound of the pattering of feet behind me. I look back to see the captain and the other novice.

"Don't touch him!" The captain says as he comes closer. "It was a test. I need the kind of people that have that gut instinct to do what is right. I never thought you'd catch the guy. He's our fastest runner in the city. Was our fastest runner in the city" He looks impressed as opposed to the doubtful look he had before.

He reaches a hand down to lift the man I thought was a thief to his feet. The man looks at me and smiles before holding out his hand. "Name's Clarence. I've never seen someone run quite like you. The guards will be glad to have ya."

I take the hand. "Thanks. My name's Bonnie. Besides myself, you're the fastest person I've seen. Sorry bout the tripping."

"No problem. I blame the ground." He says with a light chuckle.

I can't help but laugh a bit as well.

"Alright alright. This wasn't a lesson to make you become friends with a civilian." Captain says.

"Oh Blake, give the tough guy act a rest." Clarence the runner says.

"Oh it ain't an act. We have people to protect." Captain Blake replies, casting a glance up to the castle in which the Fates live. "We never know what danger might veer it's ugly head into the city and we must be ready at all times for it. Now you two. Follow me and we'll get to some drills." Without listening for an answer, Blake turns and starts marching off back toward the Coliseum to start our training. How boring.

Tossing a quick smile back at Clarence, I rush to catch up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey folks, I hope you like it so far. Feel free to comment and/or vote if you like it. Do you think Clarence will play a big part in the book? Would you want to mess with Bonnie? Dare to race her?