January 3, 2018

Makayla lay on her bed, the top of a bunk bed, looking around her room. It was small, the smallest in the house. Looking over the two dressers, she let her eyes wander to her bed, next to her pillow, where her journal lay.

I should write, shouldn't I, she thought.

Opening it, she saw her last entry was on the eighth of December. Thinking of all that had happened since then, Makayla picked up her pencil and started to write:

It has been awhile since I've written. In that time, school ended, Grandma Buchanan came, we went to Zoolights in Portland Oregon with her, she left, Christmas came and went, New Year came and went, and school started again. Today was the second day back, and I got up at 5:35 am to be at Jazz Band at 6:30 am. This is a special opportunity as 8th graders aren't usually allowed to go. But me and Anna are talented enough on our trumpets we were allowed. I must say, though, the notes on first and second trumpet make me glad I'm third trumpet. Don't tell Mom or Mr. Rants I said that. Another thing that has changed is how we do scripture study. The person who's day it is (to pray) chooses what we read. I don't like it. Yesterday was my day, Tuesday, and by the time scriptures and prayers came along, I was in a foul mood. I didn't want to lead (I'll admit, though, my foul mood was entirely my fault. Without completing my chores, I binge-watched YouTube and got in trouble for it. I knew I would). After silently refusing, I said, "I'm along for the ride, not to steer the boat! After repeating this 3-4 times, Mom said, "Since you like boats so much, let's look them up in the Index/Topical guide." I was so surprised I actually smiled, but I'd already imprinted the fact I would be uncompliant, so I turned away grumpily. I'm thankful Mom saved me from endlessly dragging on scriptures and prayers because of Pride I can't get rid of who is constantly tripping me. I should probably do my chores to avoid a repeat. I don't know if I traded yesterday for today or not. Catch you later."

           Putting down her pencil, Makayla put her journal away.

           "You done yet?" Makayla's sister, Lilly, asked.

           "Yes," Makayla said, "now story."

            Lilly groaned, but Makayla was persistent.

            "The Warners were in the castle," Makayla started.

            She smiled and laied back as Lilly began:

            "Dot sat on her bed. She couldn't sleep..."