Acceptance

Things, thankfully, weren't too bloody when they finally got back to the house. There were a few drops leading into the kitchen, but when they saw Jared leaning over Knight, who was sitting on the kitchen counter, thankfully clothed, they stopped by the door. 

What is he doing? 

Upon closer inspection, Jamie realized that Jared was trying to shove something in Knight's face. 

"Um, what are you two doing?" He asked cautiously right before Palace walked right over to them to actually see what was going on. 

"Why is your nose bleeding, brother?" He asked, not really seeming to care as much as he was just wondering. 

Knight scowled and glared down at his lap, not answering. Jared didn't seem to mind fill in the blank for them, though, because he turned enough to address them both as he grinned. 

"He tried to give me a blowjob while I was distracted and startled me." He said, his smile growing wider before he turned back to Knight and grabbed his jaw, lifting it to allow himself to shove a wad of tissues up Knight's left nostril. 

You're enjoying this a bit too much, bro. He thought to Jared as he felt the satisfaction his brother was getting from torturing the hawk shifter flow into his mind. 

Jared stepped back as he put his hands on his hips, clearly proud of the job he'd done. Jamie almost felt bad for Knight. The guy was trying to yank some of the tissues out of his likely-aching nose, but they just kept tearing apart. 

Shaking his head, he began stepping forward to actually help him when Palace moved into his way and gently lifted his brother's chin before reaching forward. He very carefully began tugging little pieces of tissue out of Knight's nose, being far more gentle than he'd expected. 

"Do not bother, brother. You brought this upon yourself, as you do all of your complaints." Palace said, making Jamie grin slightly. He couldn't argue. Knight didn't no how to stop, and Jared was only so tolerant. 

"Probably best to start looking elsewhere for a mate, Knight." He added, bringing a frown to the man's pursed lips. 

"My hawk wants him, though." He said quietly as his brother finished removing the last of the shreds of tissue paper. 

"You're too much, Knight." He said. 

Sniffling a little, Knight hunched his shoulders and looked at the ground. "But that's who I am." He said quietly. 

Jamie sighed and leaned to the side against the counter. "Well, maybe you're not what my brother wants." He said. He didn't like how harsh that had sounded, but it had to be said. When his brother started getting physically aggressive, it was time to back off or get hurt. 

When Palace turned to him, an unreadable look in his eyes, Jamie fidgeted, but held his ground and kept their eyes locked. 

"Perhaps it is time to leave the lions be, brother." He stated, though Jamie felt his whole body chill with worry at his words. 

Palace? He thought to him, only to receive a small smile in return as Palace stepped close enough to press his right hand against Jamie's face. 

"You were right, Jamie. That man is dead, and I am very pleased about that... but things also still need to keep changing." He paused for a moment, his dark eyes softening slightly as he stared into his. "We cannot stay here any longer. There are things we must do, and things you must do. Our current situation is not one that will work for either of us." 

Jamie didn't even try to hold himself back from stepping forward and wrapping Palace in a tight hug. He got one in return, but it felt like a goodbye hug instead of one that silently told him that Palace would stay. 

We will be back, my lion. 

Jamie didn't want to hear promises that might not be kept. He wanted Palace to stay and them to keep working through the issues they had, but the tone of his voice and the determination behind his thoughts told Jamie that the man's mind had been made up for a while. 

"You have to promise to come back." He said, nearly choking on his own words as he blinked back tears that ignored his will and began to slide down his cheeks anyways. 

None of that. We will be back. Palace said as he leaned down, pressing their lips together softly. 

The lack of a promise there twisted Jamie's stomach as he tried to kiss Palace back with shaking lips. It ended too quickly with Palace stepping back with a sad smile. 

"Knight." Palace said, his tone brooking no argument. 

His brother, for once, didn't even open his mouth. Jamie silently wondered if they were discussing it while he had been speaking aloud. 

Knight's form wavered for a moment, then shifted and hopped up onto his brother's bare shoulder. He looked over his shoulder at Jared once, then turned his attention to the back sliding glass door as Palace began walking toward it. 

Jamie ran forward and grabbed Palace's hand, stopping him, but only long enough for the man to lean over one more time and steal a fleeting kiss. 

"Be patient, my little lion." He whispered before continuing to the door and stepping outside. 

Right before he shifted and jumped over the part of their fence that was still standing, disappearing from view, Palace gave both brothers a smirk and addressed Jamie one more time. 

"And I mean that. If I sense anyone else sniffing around you, I'll kill them." 

Then he was gone, and Jamie immediately felt like a part of himself had just run away. 

Jared stepped up beside him after a few moments, exhaling a deep breath as he settled a hand on his shoulder. 

"He'll be back." He said, not mentioning Knight before he gave Jamie's shoulder a strong squeeze and turned back to the kitchen to clean up the bloody tissues. 

Just don't make me wait too long, Pal. Please... He thought to the fading presence in his mind right before Palace went completely out of their bond's range. 

Please be safe. 

-End. To be continued. 

(The next book will be starting in a bit that will continue this story, but after a long time skip. Thanks for reading and sorry for the abrupt feels at the end XD )