1 | The Selection

⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷《 ✮ 》⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷

Hestia stood among fifteen other children, waiting to be called by one of the local blacksmiths. She brushed a loose strand of her auburn hair behind her ear nervously. She had been dreading the ritual for two years because she knew she was running out of time in deciding what she would do after she completed her apprenticeship.

It was a common practice, enforced by Aries, for children to complete such a ritual when they reached thirteen years of age. Their apprenticeship with the blacksmiths was used to expand the Aithnean armory. By the end of a person's servitude, they were expected to have crafted a reliable weapon. Those that failed to produce a worthy weapon for the Celestial Ram would be thrown into the heart of a volcano on the island of Fi. If they succeeded, they would either join the ranks of the Pyrkagía, Aithne's notorious army, or spend the rest of their lives harvesting gemstones in Ironridge's mines.

Hestia twiddled her fingers behind her back in an attempt to distract herself. It wasn't that she was terrified of her duty, but for the punishment that was to come if not completed diligently. Although the temperature of Lady Aries' territory was known to be suffocatingly hot, the island of Fi was recognized as the hottest at a blazing one hundred and ten degrees during the day and an uncomfortable eighty degrees at nightfall. To make the island seem even more menacing, it's been said that one can hear cries of agony coming from the peak of the volcanoes. No one knows who is trapped there, nor do they venture out of their homes to discover the truth for fear of being put in the same situation.

She shook her head, trying to force the disturbing images out of her mind.

"Hestia!" a voice called out to her in a whisper, pulling her out of her seemingly morbid thoughts.

She continued to stare straight ahead, not wanting her chances of being selected by Master Liourdis to disappear completely. Master Liourdis was one of the more experienced blacksmiths, having the honor of tending to Lady Aries' personal weaponry. Rumor had it that he was looking for a successor for his shop since his wife hadn't provided him with an heir before she was killed in the Concordian invasion of 2008.

Being his heir apparent would solidify her future and keep her away from the battlefields, but it also forced her to interact with Aries frequently. No one but the Masters seemed to know what she looked like, which made Aries seem more like a phantom to her and the rest of the people. Though, the power that she held over the Isles was enough of a reminder that she was quite real.

Suddenly, a small rock hit her square in the head, causing her to flinch in surprise. She slowly turned her head to see her childhood friend, Alastair Romanos, at the end of their row. He had a playful glint in his chocolate brown eyes, which added to her annoyance. His smile grew as he watched her face turn beet red. He was always teasing her at the most unsuitable moments, and they always got into trouble for his carelessness.

Most girls were infatuated with Alastair for his rare tawny-colored hair and seemingly innocent personality. However, to Hestia, he only seemed to be a petulant younger sibling. She picked up the rock and chucked it back at him, aiming for his dopey smile. Instead, she missed and ended up hitting another person beside him.

The boy looked over to see her facing his direction and glared at her. Hestia held her hands up apologetically and shook her head. She glanced at Alastair for assistance, but his attention was directed in front of them as if he knew nothing. She scowled and turned her attention back to the presenting blacksmith, only to hear Alastair's hushed snickering.