Book 2 Preview

BOOK TWO: IMPRISONED BY SCORPIO

Preview

────────────────

Within a large mass of trees, deep in the rainforests of Azalea, rested a strange laboratory of an equally strange scientist. An ominous haze of purple smog could be seen rising high from one of its chimneys. It was a sign that the Scorpion leader was working on his latest concoction, the perfect poison.

Within the cold laboratory, he couldn't tell whether it was day or night. Hours blurred together into one instance of time, the present. The only moments in which he recognized time was still moving were when his father and the cursed Goddess of Discord, Eris, showed up on his doorstep.

Unlike the other deities, Eris was one of the more fortunate ones. She was able to roam free because her very presence fueled his father's mission: to paint the mortal world in a permanent scarlet red, full of bloodshed and flames. The chaos within the world fueled his strength just as the greed of his subjects fueled Scorpio.

"Master Scorpio, please try to get some rest tonight. You've been at this for four days," Iapetus chirped from his left. His shapeless hands rested on his hips as if to mimic an annoyed mother, but the action had no effect on the Celestial Deity. "Damn this form," he cursed under his breath.

Scorpio took a deep breath as he had planned to correct his old friend. Instead, he bit his bottom lip, holding back his words. He understood that the demon was grateful for giving him a home, but he couldn't help but feel bothered by the matter in which he addressed him. He had tried for centuries to get Iapetus to refer to him simply as "Scorpio", but every attempt failed. Despite that, a small smirk began to form on Scorpio's face, he was amused by the small wisps of flames that appeared in the air. "Iapetus, if it bothers you so much, perhaps Aithne would be a more suitable place for a creature of your...essence?"

"And be around a troupe of warmongers? I think not!"

"That's the spirit! Aries was foolish enough to allow herself be tainted by her subjects' camaraderie and passion. It is up to us to make sure we don't disappoint my father. Otherwise, it'll be both of our heads."

When he was met with silence, he tore his gaze away from his experiments only to discover the fire demon exuding tremendous amounts of heat. The brimstone that caked his body crackled, revealing slivers of magma.

"Stop that. You know better than to shift into your true form here. I may be immortal, but I rather not shed this body for a new one." Scorpio quipped, his back still facing Iapetus. The fire demon huffed in frustration, kicking rocks of molten lava that had fallen off his body. Scorpio let out a low chuckle in response before focusing his full attention on his research once again.

Scorpio sat in his usual spot, the head scientist's chair. He was surrounded by beakers and test tubes of all shapes and sizes. He scribbled in his notebook, not once looking up at the bubbling beakers and test tubes before him. "Calm yourself, Iapetus. I will rest once I've caught up on my work. We have deadlines."

A shrill whistling sound echoed throughout the cold, empty laboratory. He glanced up to see the blue concoction, bubbling in its beaker, threatening to spill over. He grabbed nearby tongs and lifted the container only to set it on the marbled counter to cool. A strong, potent, honey-like aroma filled the room. 

"What have you prepared today, Master Scorpio?" Iapetus questioned.

"I assume you've heard of azaleas, Iapetus?" Scorpio responded, trying to contain his glee. A crooked smile spread across his face

"Why yes, it's highly toxic," the fire demon came up to the counter, standing on the tips of his toes to peer up at the mysterious beaker before him. "But why are you conducting tests on poisonous plants like azalea? Surely there are better toxins to use than those." The demon scratched his head in confusion, causing pieces of molten lava to fall onto the ground.

"Have you ever heard of mad honey, Iapetus?" he asked as he lifted the beaker, gazing at it.

"Mad honey? I'm afraid not. What does honey have to do with toxic azaleas?" Iapetus inquired, resting his weight on the wooden broom as he waited for an answer.

"It was said by the historian Pliny that bees were once forced to feed off of these Azaleas. Their honey created a rather potent honey, capable of creating hallucinations and the like. Can you imagine what it would be like to amplify these conditions?" he replied as he turned to meet his faithful assistant's gaze.

Iapetus shook his head, looking dazed and confused by this new development.

"It would be enough to incapacitate a God, Iapetus! Enough to make them question their sanity, their very existence!" His crazed, bloodshot eyes twitched as his mind began to flip through the endless possibilities. Perhaps extract a secret or two in the process as well, he mused.

⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷《 ✮ 》⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷