Chapter 1 : An Encounter

I knew it wasn’t right; It wasn’t right to love him. But, what else could I do? The heart wants what it wants.  I hadn’t seen him since 1863, that’s when I first met the Mikaelson family. He was visiting Mystic Falls with his siblings; Rebekah, Elijah, Finn, and Niklaus. I can remember that day perfectly.. I had just woken up; it was six in the morning when I heard the knock on my bedroom door.  I called out, figuring it was my father, mother, or perhaps one of my elder siblings. “I’ll be right there! Just let me get dressed.” I hadn’t heard a reply and I quickly made my way over to my dresser, took off my night gown, and I pulled out under garments, putting them on immediately. My dress had been hanging in the closet and I grabbed it, slipping the dress on. It was a light blue fabric with white along the seams, it was my favorite dress.

After I had made myself presentable, I put on my flat shoes, and brushed out my long curly dark brown hair.  I looked myself over in the small mirror hanging from my wall and made my way to the door. I opened it up, speaking without looking, and lightly giggled, “Sorry for being so behind this morning.. I slept a little later than planned.” I looked past the door way only to find no one there. I furrowed my brows and looked around, to my surprise there was an envelope by the foot of my door. I bent down and picked up this card, bringing it back into my room and reading it. It was a white card with neat hand writing on it that said: 

                         Dearest Dominique,

                                 My family is in town and it would be an honor to have you attend the ball we are throwing later this evening. A dress will be sent to you to wear tonight along with the address of where the ball is being held.

-    Mrs. Mikealson

I stared at this invitation and placed it on top of my dresser. A ball? No one has thrown a ball in quite some time here, the last one hadn’t turned out as planned.. or so I was told. I have never been to a ball myself, my eldest brother Damon had attended one before, and I had been too young to attend one. I was old enough now and I planned on attending.  The first thing I had thought of doing after receiving this invitation was go and tell my brother’s girlfriend Katherine about it. Maybe she had been invited-- of course she had been invited, she was quite popular around town.  I ran down the hall and into her room only to find that she had been missing. I gave a light pout and walked out of her bedroom, down the hall, and into Damon’s room. “Damon, where’s Katherine?” I questioned, looking over at my older brother. He smiled at me and told me she had to go away for a little while, but not to worry, she would be back in a week.

I never really asked either of my brothers questions concerning Katherine because I knew how much they both loved her. I thought it was weird how she was dating them. All I knew at the time was how they both were consensual with it and that it was none of my business. I tended to leave it alone and that wasn’t really my concern right now. I was in need of advice from someone who had attended balls before and I really didn’t have many friends in the area other than Jenae and she was my age. There was no way she could have been to a ball before. I was going to ask her about it anyway.

I headed out to the small home where Jenae and her mother were staying. Getting there, I knocked on the door and waited for my friend to come out.  Jenae eventually came outside and I suggested we go on a walk and talk about what we would be wearing to this special occasion. Jenae had already had her outfit picked out and I told her about how the Mikaelson’s were having one sent specially for me.  We laughed and chatted up until I ran into an older man, I tripped and almost fell but he caught me. He was a tall, handsome, and had these dark brown eyes that stared straight into your soul. I looked up at him and my eyes widened, “I’m very sorry, Sir!” I got back on my feet and adjusted my dress, “I wasn’t looking where I was going.. Please forgive me.” I stood there, my cheeks were bright red, and Jenae had ran off so she wouldn’t get into any trouble.

I remember how he just stared at me, looking at me as if I were a piece of meat, like I was going to be dinner if I didn’t leave now.  My feet wouldn’t let me move though and I just stood there like a complete idiot waiting for him to say something to me. When he finally did and his British accent came out I almost lost it. This man was devishly handsome and his accent was making it hard for me to breathe. “Don’t worry about it, darling." he said to me, keeping eye contact the entire time. I was getting weak in my knees and right when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, it did. “You’re Dominique Salvatore, correct?” he spoke in a more friendly tone this time and I just nodded. He let out a chuckle and took my hand in his own, bringing it up to his lips and placing a kiss on the top of it, “I’m Kol, Kol MIkaelson.”

That was where it all began..