Chapter 2 : Stranger In A Strange Land

His words echoed through my mind all that first night. His eyes staring right into mine...That's all I could see. Lying in my bed, the pitch black surrounding me, all I had were my thoughts. Everyone in the house was fast asleep and I was stuck imagining Kol being there next to me. I didn't know him well, hell; I didn't know him at all. I was stuck, just wondering, hoping, and dreaming of what could possibly come tomorrow. The ball was tomorrow evening.. I still hadn't received my dress from the Mikaelson's and I was getting very impatient. I knew I shouldn't be, but I was just too damn excited. I was also a bit nervous, this would be the first ball I’ve ever been too and I didn’t have anyone around that had past experiences with one to talk to. Katherine had been God knows where and I was stuck here in Mystic Falls—Enough--I thought to myself,--Just go to sleep and don’t worry about the little things. Tomorrow will go perfectly—And with that, I fell asleep and hoped for the best.

Waking up, I found a box at the end of my bed. I sat up, making sure I stayed under the nice warm covers, and reached for the box. I pulled it closer to me and slid my finger under the opening of it, popping the top right off.  The dress Mrs. Mikaelson had spoken of in the letter was inside… It was absolutely stunning. It was a black laced dress with a tie corset in the back of it. Every little stitch and detail on it was perfect, you could tell that someone with exquisite taste picked it out. I got up off my bed, pulling the dress completely out of the box and hanging it up in my closet. I was more than excited for this ball now. I quickly threw on one of my every day dresses and headed out of the house. I practically ran over to Jenae’s and knocked firmly on the door until she answered it. Once she did so, I smiled widely and took her hand, pulling her outside. “We’re going on an adventure! I don’t know where, but we’re going on one.” I smiled cheerfully and of course she went along with it.

Heading out of our usual courters, Jenae and I went over to the falls. We stared out at the water, this was where we would go when we needed time to think or we just wanted to get away from our siblings or parents. It was a quiet spot and no one really hung around there; everyone always thought if they got too close they would fall down into the water, but Jenae and I knew better than that. We weren’t scared of anything. We sat down on the edge and stared out as the water crashed down on the rocks below it…Everything was quiet and just so peaceful. I was getting lost in the moment when Jenae slapped my side, “Ouch!” I teased, “What’d you do that for?” Jenae just nodded her head over toward the right side of me, “Isn’t that the man you ran into the other day?!” it was in an excited but quiet voice, she didn’t want him to hear her. I looked over at the man and then quickly back at my friend, “Yes!” I bit down on the inside of my cheek and tried to hide my excitement.  I tried not to pay much attention to him, he must have just wanted to come out and find some peace himself. I was staring out at the falls once more until I felt another slap against my stomach, “Jesus! What is it now?” I laughed and Jenae just nudged her head once more, “Who’s that handsome man with him?!” she questioned, leaning in toward me. I glanced over to see another older man beside Kol chatting with him. I shrugged and stood up, pulling her up with me, “I’m not sure, but we’re going to find out.” I grinned and brought her over to the two men with me. 

We made our way over towards the two, inside I was freaking out a little and I knew she was too. "Hi, Kol." I smiled cheekily and Jenae walked up on the side of me closest to the mystery man next to him. "Hello, gorgeous." he grinned down at me and I almost fainted on the spot, but had to play it off as an everyday thing. "My friend and I were--" Looking over at Jenae, I already saw that she was now away from Kol and I chatting up this stranger. "Well, it looks like she found out." I laughed and shook my head, looking back over at Kol who had just been staring at me. "I take it you're attending the ball tonight?" I questioned, already knowing the answer but wanting to check and make sure. "Of course I am, my mother would kill me if I didn't show up." he winked and I felt blush rush to my cheeks. "Well you better come, it'd be a shame if you weren't around anymore... The town was finally getting interesting with you in it." I looked up at him and bit down on the inside of my cheek, "Anyway, I should really be going now.. I have to get ready for tonight." I returned that wink he had given me earlier and turned away from him, before I could take another step away from him, I felt a hand grasp mine. I was being turned and pulled back toward him, our bodies only an inch or two apart and I looked up at Kol. I was at a loss for words now, all he was doing was gazing into my eyes and I furrowed my brows, "You have really pretty eyes.." I blurted out, breaking the scilence. He let out a chuckle, one that I knew was never going to stop repeating in my mind, and he shook his head,"I haven't heard that one before." For the first time I actually saw a real smile apear on his face, seeing him around town he always had a fake smile, one that you knew he was holding back... But this, this was a real one and it was beautiful. "Be sure to save me a dance tonight, love." he spoke in a softer tone and let go of my hand, once he released me, his walls came back up and that cold look came back into his eyes. I made my way over to Jenae, she had finished up talking to the man who I still had not met and I was sure I'd get the details of it on our walk back.